Heat tolerance of internal parts

More
06 Jul 2014 15:46 #639057 by Shdwdrgn
Heat tolerance of internal parts was created by Shdwdrgn
Again, 1981 KZ1000J carbs. I finished sandblasting and painting the carb bodies today, but the paint can says for best fuel resistance I should bake the parts at 200F for an hour. I have not removed any of the internal parts except the slides. I'm mainly worried about the float and the metering seat under it, but have no idea if there are other pieces in the accelerator pump or elsewhere. Externally the carbs have been completely torn down, so all rubber and plastic pieces are removed.

So could I bake the carbs without damaging parts like the floats? The engine itself I think will get hot enough to cure the paint, but I don't see the carbs ever getting that warm.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2014 16:12 #639059 by peter1958

More
07 Jul 2014 09:32 #639117 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Heat tolerance of internal parts
Hmm that's disappointing. Well I can cure the bowls and the top caps at least. I never could figure out how to get the pin out of the floats, and these carbs have a coasting pump which is factory adjusted and not supposed to be changed without special equipment, so I didn't want to take them apart. I guess the best I can do for the main body is set them out in the hot sun. They'll probably get up to at least 150F sitting outside, which is better than nothing.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine