carb choke return spring

More
02 Jul 2014 14:46 #638706 by DLP
carb choke return spring was created by DLP
I bought this bike about a week or so ago and pulled the carbs off and this was how the PO had rigged the choke, it works but looks kinda crappy and bothers me cuz I know its not right, any suggestions on how to get it properly fixed or set it up a better way.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
02 Jul 2014 14:58 #638708 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic carb choke return spring

DLP wrote: I know its not right, any suggestions on how to get it properly fixed or set it up a better way.

At the risk of sounding sarcastic... the factory has a pretty good idea how they are supposed to be.
With your bike year and model in hand visit Kawasaki.com or partzilla.com or some other online microfiche and you'll see what the factory had in mind! Paul

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
02 Jul 2014 15:19 #638715 by DLP
Replied by DLP on topic carb choke return spring
I have another set of carbs that are set up right but it does not even work on it, I guess the choke return spring as it is called according to the Haynes manual I got is worn out and I am not sure how to go about switching it out. The bike is a 1982 kz750 ltd h3 with keihin carbs, partzilla does not show a diagraham of these carbs and I don't see the part listed on their parts list

More
02 Jul 2014 15:49 #638718 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic carb choke return spring
I don't know if this will help, but here's are diagrams from Kawasaki.com. Ed

Attachment 00004_2014-07-02.jpg not found

Attachment 00006_2014-07-02.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
02 Jul 2014 16:13 #638722 by DLP
Thank you for that, I looked it up after the last reply and it shows the choke shaft I believe part 160041 which it said is not available and it still does not show the spring

More
02 Jul 2014 18:25 - 02 Jul 2014 18:26 #638739 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic carb choke return spring
The choke return spring design on the Keihin 34's is epically crappy. Way too weak. You may want to jerry rig some sort spring to bypass the stocker. Otherwise, find someone with some parts carbs and get your hands on a new/used spring. Just don't be surprised if the butterfly's hang closed sometimes.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2014 18:26 by Nessism.

More
02 Jul 2014 18:37 #638743 by DLP
The one set of carbs that came on the bike are rigged, and it seems to work I just don't like how it was done, and the way they are designed its not so much that they would hang up shut with the choke stuck on but they actually will not close to give me choke, its called a return spring but really works backwards, there is an arm that pushes the choke butterflies open for normal running but you go to choke it and the arm comes down releasing pressure and the spring is supposed to close the butterflies to choke it.

More
02 Jul 2014 19:10 #638755 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic carb choke return spring

DLP wrote: The one set of carbs that came on the bike are rigged, and it seems to work I just don't like how it was done, and the way they are designed its not so much that they would hang up shut with the choke stuck on but they actually will not close to give me choke, its called a return spring but really works backwards, there is an arm that pushes the choke butterflies open for normal running but you go to choke it and the arm comes down releasing pressure and the spring is supposed to close the butterflies to choke it.

You are correct sir, I had it backwards. Hard starting because no choke is the failure.

More
03 Jul 2014 13:42 #638823 by DLP
I would like to thank everyone for trying to help me and replying, I done some digging and looks like I will be sending them out for a full and complete rebuild including that particular spring, now I got some questions for the engine section.