Deceleration Cable

More
30 Jun 2014 14:20 #638483 by Couturier
Deceleration Cable was created by Couturier
Hi!

So I've been riding my 81' KZ550 ltd for a few month now and everything is going just fine. I haven't started to work really on it yet, but looking at motorcycles and parts online I've come to notice that I'm missing the deceleration cable on my bike... :unsure: I mean, it runs well so I'm actually wondering how important is the deceleration cable? Should I install one ASAP? After a sharp acceleration, when i release de throttle the bike does backfire a bit. Is this normal? If not would the problem be cause by the lack of deceleration cable?

Thanks a whole lot guys, I'm still new to all this.

1981 KZ550 Ltd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2014 15:31 #638497 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Deceleration Cable
Removed mine over 30 years ago and haven't ran into a issue yet.

More
30 Jun 2014 18:04 #638508 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Deceleration Cable
The bike shouldn't backfire, but I don't see how the lack of that cable could cause it. That cable is intended to let you close the throttle if for some reason the carbs stick in the OPEN position. This could be a serious problem if you cranked the throttle wide open and it stuck that way! Personally, I would install the cable, but if you decide not to you may want to practice up a bit hitting the "Kill" switch just in case. ;) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
01 Jul 2014 04:00 #638551 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Deceleration Cable
I was told in a pinch if you snapped the throttle cable you could just switch over to get you home. Never had to but it was comforting.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
01 Jul 2014 04:44 #638556 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Deceleration Cable
The push cable (deceleration) is for safety. I have read here that it is not an absolute requirement but some guys caution that the throttle can get stuck open without it. Lack of the push cable will not cause the back firing that is a tuning issue. I would suggest getting a manual if you don't already have one and go through and preform the entire maintenance section. If you need one some of the guys on the site have a downloadable version.
Good luck

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project