Looking for Part Breather Elbow Fitting

More
27 Jun 2014 14:28 #638163 by Fiddles
Hey Guys,

I am doing a carb rebuild and trashed the elbow fitting coming of the float bowl for the breather hose. The plastic was cracked so it fell apart. The other came off clean. I havent been able to track down a source for the part and hoping yall would be able to help. I dont want to tap the carbs just yet. Pic attached let me know if anyone has any info on this.

I was also thinking of taking a threaded hose barb elbow and milling off the threads to spec (6mm diam).
Also where do the breather hoses go? To the air box for filtered air? How critical are these hoses?

Thanks!

1978 KZ400 B1 Frankenstein
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2014 14:44 #638165 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Looking for Part Breather Elbow Fitting
If it's the piece shown by the arrow in the diagram below, Kawasaki didn't offer it as a separate part. That being the case, you probably need to steal one from another carb or fabricate something. Ed

Attachment 00004_2014-06-27.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2014 20:12 #638201 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Looking for Part Breather Elbow Fitting
Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc. Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.

www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/37...imitstart=0&start=20

Here's the carb assembly diagram, where it looks like the 2 vent hoses are bundled with 2 overflow hoses for routing down and over the swing-arm to exit underneath the bike.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2014 20:21 - 27 Jun 2014 20:24 #638202 by Patton

Fiddles wrote: ... Also where do the breather hoses go? To the air box for filtered air? How critical are these hoses?....

Also known as "vent" hoses, they aren't critical. What's important is that the vent opening is clear and exiting to open air.

The hoses help prevent water from entering the carb. And in event of a tip-over, can help keep errant gasoline further away from the engine.

On some models, the vent hoses are routed to exit underneath the seat.
I believe some other models have the vent hoses routed into the air-box.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Jun 2014 20:24 by Patton.

More
27 Jun 2014 20:30 #638203 by Patton
A hobby shop may have a brass tube in a size that fits snugly into the carb, and which, if desired, could possibly be bent to an "L" shape.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Jun 2014 08:50 #638267 by Fiddles
Replied by Fiddles on topic Looking for Part Breather Elbow Fitting
Thanks for all the info guys!

I figured that I'd never find this part and also considered the possibility of just leaving it out as much as I dont want to.

I'm going to try to fabricate something since I do have my own machine shop at work :) I will let you know how I make out and if I can crack it I can make up a few for anyone else who might need one! Thanks again.

1978 KZ400 B1 Frankenstein

More
28 Jun 2014 09:25 - 28 Jun 2014 09:27 #638269 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Looking for Part Breather Elbow Fitting
EDIT ... Patton pretty much covered it all. B)
Last edit: 28 Jun 2014 09:27 by loudhvx.