Quite a few running issues

More
24 Jun 2014 20:29 #637926 by Mtcrsst199
Quite a few running issues was created by Mtcrsst199
Back round- bought a 75 kz400, stock motor, pod filters, carbs are in sync according to my gauges.

First I have searched and can't find anything.
Second this is my first bike with 2 carbs.

I have 3 known issues.

1- engine is running rich according to my plugs
2- I have a high idle all the time. Idle speed screw is backed off not even touching the linkage. And cable has slack in it.
3- when cruising at a steady throttle it seems to be breaking up and sputtering, but when I'm really hammering on it banging through gears it runs fine?

I'm at a loss due to my lack of knowledge of a more then one carb setup

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• the_Were-Rabbit
  • User
  • Stays crunchy. Even in milk.
More
28 Jun 2014 02:26 #638238 by the_Were-Rabbit
Replied by the_Were-Rabbit on topic Quite a few running issues
Hmmm...

The first two I'll take a run at. Have you checked the carb boots for cracks and deterioration?
May need a new set. That made all the difference in how my KZ1100 A3 ran.

Just my dos centavos, and best regards! :)

the Were-Rabbit

My Kaw? Daily ride! "Voodoo Red"- a 1983 KZ1100 A-3 shaft model, full Vetter fairing, hard bags and tail trunk, A vintage cruiser/touring for a vintage guy...

More
28 Jun 2014 06:21 #638249 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Quite a few running issues

Mtcrsst199 wrote: ... 75 kz400, stock motor, pod filters, carbs are in sync according to my gauges...
1- engine is running rich according to my plugs
2- I have a high idle all the time. Idle speed screw is backed off not even touching the linkage. And cable has slack in it.
3- when cruising at a steady throttle it seems to be breaking up and sputtering, but when I'm really hammering on it banging through gears it runs fine? ....

If air leak isn't the culprit, could attempt another running sync at more closed throttle butterfly positions.

KZ400/440 carb performance is heavily dependent on the stock air-box.
With pods, tuning for good performance throughout the entire throttle range is problematic.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD