Starting to clean the fuel system

More
15 Jun 2014 19:24 #636778 by JP87
Starting to clean the fuel system was created by JP87
I am in the process of cleaning out the fuel system to see if i can get my new (to me) bike to fire. It's a 1981 KZ250. I removed the tank and that's being cleaned and now I am onto the fuel filter. Is there away that I can open this up and clean the debris out? Also, aren't I suppose to have some type of petcock? The brass fitting was connected directly to the tank and the other end on the hose was connected to the engine. This is my first bike/project so please bare with me.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2014 19:39 #636782 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Starting to clean the fuel system
Generally you should replace the inline fuel filter every couple years. They're only a couple bucks at your local auto parts store. As for your other question, yes there should be a petcock attached to your gas tank. You may be able to find an OEM part on ebay

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
15 Jun 2014 19:44 #636784 by JP87
Replied by JP87 on topic Starting to clean the fuel system
Alright sounds good. I will hit my local autozone and pick one up tomorrow. I will look on ebay for a petcock. Thanks!

More
15 Jun 2014 20:01 #636787 by JP87
so i looked up the petcock on ebay and i have no idea how this will mount to the tank. Either I have the wrong tank or someone modified this tank for some reason. Heres a pic of how the filter was attached, of the fitting on the tank and a couple pics of the petcock.
Attachments:

More
15 Jun 2014 20:21 #636790 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Starting to clean the fuel system
This is the filter you want. Dont go to auto prts store. Automotive you are too restricting. Bikes are gravity fed and wont flow enough through a car filter.
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...%22&item=KL19-1272-1
As for the petcock try kawasaki,com, go to owner info the parts diagram.
Good luck.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
15 Jun 2014 23:51 #636799 by JP87
Moneypit,
Thats for the link. What do you think about this filter? I can get it from my local cycle gear so I wont have to wait for shipping (and I wont have to pay for the $20 shipping I would from the link you provided) I am looking into my tank to see whats up with that.
Www.cyclegear.com/cyclegear/parts/filter...filter/p/37902_39001

More
16 Jun 2014 13:43 #636873 by JP87
So ai figured out my has been modified to accommodate the brass fitting. So I will probably need to find a different tank or try and figure out how to undo the work someone else did. It will be good learning experience at least.

More
16 Jun 2014 15:03 #636882 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Starting to clean the fuel system
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationUnless the image of your tank is distorted, it doesn't appear to be an original tank. Your actual tank should look something like this

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
16 Jun 2014 15:13 #636884 by JP87
I looked at that tank ebay and am watching it right now. So I guess I will start on cleaning the carb and changing fluids until I buy a new tank and filter. The previous owner said that the plug kept fouling and thats why he parked it. I am hoping that with the right tank and a petcock ot will fire up after I clean everything up. You guys have been a big help for a newb and I really appreciate it. Thanks again.

More
16 Jun 2014 15:33 - 16 Jun 2014 15:35 #636890 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Starting to clean the fuel system
Most KZs probably have 5/16" fuel ports, so a 5/16" filter may be a better fit. The clear plastic one linked by moneypit does not hold up to gasoline w ethanol --- the ends become soft & bendy. An aluminum filter that has a cleanable element seems like a good idea to me. Russell is one brand -- available on eebbaayy etc.

In addition to an in-line filter, make sure the petcock or fuel valve has a screen.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2014 15:35 by martin_csr.

More
16 Jun 2014 15:40 #636891 by JP87
The filter I found at cycle grear... what do you guys think?

More
16 Jun 2014 15:56 #636894 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Starting to clean the fuel system
That one will be fine. If your bike uses 5/16" fuel line, then a 5/16 part would be a better fit, but a 1/4 filter will work.