Lean or rich?

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2014 08:54 #636308 by TheForumTroll
Lean or rich? was created by TheForumTroll
So I'm looking at a few things I need to do to my bike but I'm unsure if it will change it to become more lean or rich. The mufflers need to be repackaged, the air filter is looking very old and I'm thinking about putting in a K&N filter (not pods). I'm guessing more packing in the mufflers and higher airflow filters will both make the bike leaner? I also installed a fuel filter.

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2014 12:56 #636341 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Lean or rich?
I don't use K+N, but I doubt their filter changes the airflow rate much compared to stock. I just use a generic foam air filter with oil on it. "More packing" in the mufflers would increase back pressure and reduce flow rate so I would think that would go richer overall?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2014 06:22 #636447 by TheForumTroll
Replied by TheForumTroll on topic Lean or rich?
I see. I had a foam filter too but they had to be ordered and I was too lazy to go twice to the shop. So it seems it will most likely be richer? That's great at it is a bit too lean as it is.

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

More
13 Jun 2014 07:26 - 13 Jun 2014 07:30 #636456 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Lean or rich?
A perfectly serviced K&N air filter provides acceptable filtration and airflow, but a new stock air filter provides the best filtration along with ample air flow.

Several objective tests have shown that a stock paper filter removes smaller particulate than does a perfectly serviced K&N air filter.

The K&N's advantage is that it lasts forever, and is easy to service (i.e., clean and re-oil) at minimal expense.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 07:30 by Patton.

More
13 Jun 2014 10:30 #636493 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Lean or rich?
Did you see the K and N filter in the for sale section ? Not sure but I think its what you need. I've always been a sucker for the K & N brand. :laugh:

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2014 15:19 - 15 Jun 2014 15:19 #636738 by TheForumTroll
The filter was just lying there in the shop looking cheap -someone who ordered it but didn't pick it up I guess- so I went with it. I'm not really a fan of K&N. Seems to me there're just selling (filtered) air :laugh:

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-
Last edit: 15 Jun 2014 15:19 by TheForumTroll.

More
08 Aug 2014 00:02 - 08 Aug 2014 00:03 #643121 by HelgeP
Replied by HelgeP on topic Lean or rich?
hello....

i have much the similar problems with my bike..
the problem is to rich mixture, i think. (the spark plugs is carbon fouled). It starts fine, but after a while it runs very poorly, and it backfires, sounds very bad.
I changed the air filter box with a home made in stainless steel, a bit smaller, but much better looking....
I have had the carburetors in pieces, and replaced the main jets (125). I havent touched the air mixer screws. My exhaust pipes are changed to the originals, from a 4 in one system.

I really dont have a clue...do you have some tips for me? maybe with pictures?

i am sending a picture to illustrate how ive done it..

hope you ore anybody can help me..

best regards Helge

Attachment DSCN3007.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Aug 2014 00:03 by HelgeP.

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2014 01:24 #643127 by TheForumTroll
Hi :)

I think your best bet is searching the forum for Pods as your new airbox would likely change airflow much like installing these. I know many have done it and as far as I can tell almost as many have had problems getting the bike running smooth with them.

If those carburetors are the same as mine, the "air mixture screw" is a pilot screw, only changing the mixture at something like the first 1/3 twist of the handle. If it happens outside that area it is likely the airbox if I had to guess, but I'm new to all of these things.

I would recommend you start a new topic to get all the super knowledgeable people who have been through much the same to see your post.

By the way, that airbox looks great. Have you posted pictures of your bike on here?

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

More
08 Aug 2014 02:13 #643129 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Lean or rich?

HelgeP wrote: ... spark plugs is carbon fouled...It starts fine, but after a while it runs very poorly, and it backfires, sounds very bad....

Classic symptoms of insufficient valve clearances.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD