What do i do after installing pods?

More
11 Jun 2014 20:53 #636260 by danoid
What do i do after installing pods? was created by danoid
Hi,
ive got a 1979 KZ650 SR D1, i bought it a while back and ive made a few modifications to it. Its got a Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust pipe system. Also ive put pod filters on it and removed the airbox all together. The question that ive got is, what should i do after putting in pods? Ive rejetted it using the recommended Dynojet kit. Very nice stuff by the way. Im just not sure what to do with the holes where all my air tubes used to go. i know vacuum leaks pretty much wreck my performance on this guy. there are two openings in my carbs. i think the number 2 and 4 carbs. i believe they are vent ports? do i cover or leave open? Also there are two holes in the valve cover where two larger tubes went in. should i just plug them or leave those open or link them together with one tube.
Any help with this would be very much appreciated! and any other advice or things to look out for after pod filters would be very helpful. thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2014 21:30 #636268 by GPzEric
Replied by GPzEric on topic What do i do after installing pods?
OK -

you have a little work to do -

first, on top of the valve cover, are the two 'reed' assemblies, that are hooked to a valve, and used to go to the airbox. You don't want these sucking unfiltered air into your engine, so the easiest thing to do is just put a short piece of hose connecting them together. Then, get a plug, or bypass cap, and close up the hose hole in the airbox.

On the front side of your carbs, there are 4 vacuum ports, one goes to the petcock, I believe, and you should cap the remaining three.

On the back side of the carbs, are the two breather tubes, that vent the float bowls and allow the carbs to fill right. If you don't want to run the long hoses up and down, you can take short pieces of hose, and at least run them as high as the tops of the carbs, so if you hit bumps you won't have dribbles as the floats bounce.

Finally, get a small air filter, and put it on the crankcase breather, which is right under the airbox.

And don't throw away the airbox and parts ! You may put them back on one day !

Good luck - Eric

My wife asked me if I still loved her - I said "Honey, I love you more than new carburetor boots ! "
1982 KZ1100B2 (GPz)
1982 KZ750R1 (GPz)
(2) 1981 KZ550D1 (GPz) 1 mint, 1 under construction
1983 GS1100E
The following user(s) said Thank You: danoid

More
12 Jun 2014 08:16 #636303 by danoid
Replied by danoid on topic What do i do after installing pods?
Perfect! thank you so much! i had read all kinds of different things and im glad that ive got it pretty well cleared up now.

More
12 Jun 2014 19:33 - 12 Jun 2014 19:35 #636396 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic What do i do after installing pods?
All 4 vacuum ports on the manifolds need to be capped.
Carb #2 may have the vacuum port (green line) in front of the vent, like in the picture below;

[IMG

Do your carbs have the accelerator pumps?
Bottom of carb #2 with accel pump;

[IMG

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 12 Jun 2014 19:35 by rstnick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: danoid

More
14 Jun 2014 20:02 #636669 by danoid
Replied by danoid on topic What do i do after installing pods?
my carbs do have the accelerator pump on them and it looks pretty much exactly as your pictures describe. although yours has what looks like two drain ports or something next to the pump. mine only has the one port. the one nearest the left in the picture. and thank you so much for the help. you guys are really helping me out.