How to remove pilot screw caps

More
07 Jun 2014 19:04 #635715 by RickP
How to remove pilot screw caps was created by RickP
How do you remove the pilot screw caps on the Keihin CV34 carbs on an 82 KZ750 H3 LTD? What is the correct and safe procedure to not damage the screw below the cap?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2014 19:14 #635717 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic How to remove pilot screw caps
Drill a very shallow hole just barely through the cap without drilling into the screw.

Thread a sheet metal screw into the hole -- again shallow, just until the metal screw catches hold inside the cap.

Then grip the metal screw with a pair of pliers and pull the cap off.

Throw the cap as far as possible into deep space .

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Jun 2014 19:20 - 07 Jun 2014 19:21 #635719 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic How to remove pilot screw caps
One method to assure a shallow drill hole is to put a spacer over the bit before drilling, leaving only the tip of the bit exposed at the desired length.

Go too shallow at first, then gradually deeper with a shorter spacer until through the cap, or deep enough to allow the metal screw to gain a grip.

May use a hard plastic tube cut with a single edge razor blade to fashion spacers.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Jun 2014 19:21 by Patton.

More
07 Jun 2014 19:43 #635724 by RickP
Replied by RickP on topic How to remove pilot screw caps
Thanks. I'm hoping by removing the plugs and adjusting the pilot screws a bit will help my idle smooth some and help with low to mid range stumble and lack of power. I rebuilt the carbs and all else seems good, starts fine with some choke, runs real strong from 4k rpm and up, but does stumble some at low rpm.

I did remove & clean the pilot jets during the rebuild (mine have the off white plastic or polyester caps over them and I did not know how to remove/replace these properly)

More
07 Jun 2014 19:45 #635726 by RickP
Replied by RickP on topic How to remove pilot screw caps
I meant to say I did not remove & clean the pilot jets during the rebuild because I did not know how to remove/replace the off white caps at the bottom of the jets

More
17 Jun 2014 02:38 #636949 by Azzers
Replied by Azzers on topic How to remove pilot screw caps
Hi,

I have a kZ750 E1 and it also has the Polyester Caps over the Pilot Jets.
If I remove the Caps will it have any effect if I cannot replace them? (Thinking of also throwing them into space).

My bike wont idle with the choke off, and on further inspection of the carb I am missing one Main #62 Jet Nozzel which I want to replace, hopefully thats the reason for my pain.

I'm not sure if I would really need to clean the Pilot jets seeing as they are so well protected, and could they be the cause of the non-idling?

'81 KZ750-E1 Cafe Racer Project - Complete
'79 CB750 K Restoration Project - sold
'82 GL1100 Bobber project - WIP
2014 BMW GS 1200 LC

More
17 Jun 2014 05:08 - 17 Jun 2014 05:17 #636955 by JR
Replied by JR on topic How to remove pilot screw caps

Azzers wrote: Hi,

I have a kZ750 E1 and it also has the Polyester Caps over the Pilot Jets.
If I remove the Caps will it have any effect if I cannot replace them? (Thinking of also throwing them into space).

My bike wont idle with the choke off, and on further inspection of the carb I am missing one Main #62 Jet Nozzel which I want to replace, hopefully thats the reason for my pain.

I'm not sure if I would really need to clean the Pilot jets seeing as they are so well protected, and could they be the cause of the non-idling?

The original post was regarding metal caps over pilot screws on the outside top of the carb.

You need those polyester caps covering the pilot jets. The pilot jet gets gas via a little pathway from one of the main jets. It is worthwhile cleaning the pilots while you are in thrre and it's easy . If they are not slotted for a screwdriver then they will either fall out or you can bend the tip of a pin and hook them out.

Sorry I don't know where you would would get a nozzle for underneath the #62. The jets themselves you can get from Z1 enterprises.com.com you might try kawasaki.com owner info, parts diagrams to see if the nozzle is still actice/available from kawasaki.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 17 Jun 2014 05:17 by JR.

More
09 Oct 2014 06:04 #650147 by Azzers
Replied by Azzers on topic How to remove pilot screw caps
Hi,

Sorry for the VERY late reply. I managed to get the polyester caps off of the Pilot Jets, and managed to find a second hand Pilot jet, and some other parts. The Caps just pulled off, had to turn then left and right a little (long nose pliers were involved), as there is just a little rubber o-ring on them - ended up having to replace a slider and diaphragm too.

Carbs are back on the bike and she runs beautifully now.

PS, Sorry about the confusion about Pilot screw caps vs. Pilot Jet caps - can you really blame me?!

'81 KZ750-E1 Cafe Racer Project - Complete
'79 CB750 K Restoration Project - sold
'82 GL1100 Bobber project - WIP
2014 BMW GS 1200 LC