BS34 vacuum diaphram replacement

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
26 May 2014 21:54 - 27 May 2014 06:14 #634102 by daveo
BS34 vacuum diaphram replacement was created by daveo
When replacing a 30+ year-old functioning (set of four) vacuum slides with a brand new set, will I notice a significant difference in how well the carburetors work? If so, what should I expect? :unsure:
My carbs work well, and seem to be jetted properly, so my interest is specifically in the question.

P.S. Must we be satisfied when our engines (seem to) operate at their greatest potential? Is it unreasonable to desire (and expect) the absolute finest from them?

Kawasaki motors really are amazing... B)

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 27 May 2014 06:14 by daveo. Reason: + thoughts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2014 12:18 #634162 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic BS34 vacuum diaphram replacement

When replacing a 30+ year-old functioning (set of four) vacuum slides with a brand new set, will I notice a significant difference in how well the carburetors work? If so, what should I expect? :unsure:
My carbs work well, and seem to be jetted properly, so my interest is specifically in the question.

If the ones you have now don't have air leaks, new ones probably won't do anything.

P.S. Must we be satisfied when our engines (seem to) operate at their greatest potential? Is it unreasonable to desire (and expect) the absolute finest from them?

The makers are pretty good at squeezing out power. In some cases like California models they were jetted too lean but in general, they are pretty much tweaked up when you get them. Aftermarket headers can get a couple of extra horses but usually at the expense of less power in the low RPM range.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
27 May 2014 22:30 #634250 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic BS34 vacuum diaphram replacement
I agree. These engines are great engines, for their day. Advances in cam timing ignitions, head designs exceed these fine engines. One can spend money on these machines til the credit card screams "enough". They have their limits. You want to go faster for less money and more reliability get a new, larger motorcycle.

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
28 May 2014 01:08 #634258 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic BS34 vacuum diaphram replacement

azman857 wrote: I agree. These engines are great engines, for their day. Advances in cam timing ignitions, head designs exceed these fine engines. One can spend money on these machines til the credit card screams "enough". They have their limits. You want to go faster for less money and more reliability get a new, larger motorcycle.

You are so right, but I'm kinda like...stuck in the old days. Like when my business was going somewhere in the nineties. I'm still infatuated with the 1000/1100 J-motors, used on so-many Kawasaki bikes through the years. The abundance of reasonably priced parts assures me that this old sled should be around for a few more years, thanks to ebay.for the most part(s). It has ample power and speed to satisfy my aging adrenalin needs.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
07 Jun 2014 21:21 #635739 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic BS34 vacuum diaphram replacement
JBM industry makes new diaphragms and carb mounts. jbmindustries.com

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
08 Jun 2014 21:08 - 08 Jun 2014 21:21 #635870 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic BS34 vacuum diaphram replacement
I bought a complete set of new diaphragm slides from a guy that sold his bike and didn't need them anymore. The price was right, and the result is what I hoped for...much-crisper throttle response. :)

Engine updated with Dynatek 2000 and Mini-Coils and DW-200 wires.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 08 Jun 2014 21:21 by daveo.