1976 KZ750B1 won't idle without choke

More
26 May 2014 11:35 #634040 by Phaedrus
1976 KZ750B1 won't idle without choke was created by Phaedrus
Okay KZ sages, I'm looking for a little advice. Excuse any newbie cruft - this will be my first ride...

I recently rebuilt the top end of my KZ (with the help of the former owner), and these are the first efforts to get it back on the road. Carbs were well cleaned, new valve shims so clearance is well within spec. Pretty meticulous on the bench syncing, so I think I'm okay there. New plugs. Stock air box.

So I've followed the owner's manual and set the pilot screws 1.5 turns out. She won't start without the choke, and she stays at a throaty 4000+ unless I back to the choke down to about half and I let it warm up there for about 5 minutes, idling around 2000-2200. No smoke out of either pipe. When I try to back the choke back off slowly, I can get it to around 1500rpm if I'm really careful (about 1/3 choke). If I lean the bike back on it's stand then, she'll die. If I try to take the choke any lower than 1/3, she'll die. When I restart, I've got to put the choke back to at least 2/3 or she won't start (btw - I'm kicking, as the electric hasn't worked since the last rider).

So I'm not sure what's happening or how I should be factoring in the choke when going through the recommended idle adjustment procedures. I assumed that any adjustment to the pilot screws (to set to highest rpm before adjusting the idle screw to get her to 950-1000rpm), should be done with the bike warm and without the choke. But, obviously, I can't get that far without the bike dying.

So, am I getting the sequencing of this wrong? Should I be trying to make adjustments to the pilot and/or idle screw with the choke still on? I haven't adjusted the timing, but I don't know if that's a factor in what I'm experiencing yet.

Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance. She'll be a hell of a good time if I can ever get her on the road...

1976 KZ-750B1 (late model)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2014 11:55 #634043 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1976 KZ750B1 won't idle without choke
Sounds like the piiot jets are clogged or otherwise not working. Could also have an air leak making the thing too lean.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 May 2014 11:57 #634044 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1976 KZ750B1 won't idle without choke
You should also set the fuel levels using the clear tube method to make sure it's in spec.

1979 KZ-750 Twin