home made intake housing?

• dakotaford1991
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 May 2014 16:15 #633821 by dakotaford1991
home made intake housing? was created by dakotaford1991
ello fellows! so, i have a gpz that i picked up cheap, its in nice shape, has 20k miles on the engine and well, the carbs have just never quit giving me trouble, i have rebuilt them about four times now, and each time i go by the books, and always one or another seems to have something wrong with it. my biggest problem is fuel getting into the diaphrams. i dont even know how it can get up there. but it does. second symptom i noticed is that no matter what, my choke never works at half, always stalls the engine. im fed up with these junk tk26 carbs... is there anyone out there who doesnt have problems with these things? and for my main topic, in order to work on these carbs i need to remove them, and the air intake housing makes this near impossible. is there anyone else who has this issue? where the intake is butted up against the frame. and you cant pull it rearward like the manual states. im seriously going to the hardware store and making something with pvc pipe.
:sick:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dakotaford1991
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 May 2014 19:05 #633837 by dakotaford1991
Replied by dakotaford1991 on topic home made intake housing?
k, so. ive pulled the airbox off for the last time, i tried seeing if i can find this fuel leak and whatnot, ive found that the carbs are just way overfueling for my altitude, and its just leaking at the boot from the airbox. looks like i need new jets and im making a homemade intake ductwork. i will post pics of that monday night when i start that project. i feel better now knowing thats what my issue is. every time i stab the throttle, i get fuel mist spraying back and forth in the carbs when the diaphrams open up. its pretty bad. enough to pump fuel up the slide into the top part of the diaphram. hopefully a new jet set will solve everything. also i ran my pilot screws all the way in and backed em out a half turn (trying to lean it out just a bit til the jets get here) ill keep yall posted!

More
24 May 2014 19:13 #633839 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic home made intake housing?
Is the bike a KZ550? Are the airbox ducts hard? .... they should be soft & pliable for ease of removal.

More
24 May 2014 21:49 #633861 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic home made intake housing?

dakotaford1991 wrote: ...leaking at the boot from the airbox....

To be on the safe side, would sniff-test the crankcase oil and examine it to ascertain whether the oil has been diluted with gasoline, which may portend a catastrophic engine failure.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 May 2014 22:14 - 24 May 2014 22:14 #633867 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic home made intake housing?
I haven't spent too much time on the TK26's, but I do know that if the rubber plugs that are supposed to seal the jet opening from the bowl, are missing or cracked, you get too much fuel. They are very commonly missing or cracked. (The jets are supposed to get fuel from an alternate path.)

I think you can also swap in TK27's from an 84/85 gpz550. They don't have the rubber jet plugs.

You might even be able to swap in some CV30's from a Zephyr, but those are pretty rare.
Last edit: 24 May 2014 22:14 by loudhvx.