Need advice on carb jetting - tuning - 77 750twin

• vandenbusschebr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2014 15:25 - 19 May 2014 15:31 #632995 by vandenbusschebr
Need advice on carb jetting - tuning - 77 750twin was created by vandenbusschebr
Hey everyone, first thanks to all who post about their builds as they have given me alot to work off. I have this 750 twin that I've been building, started as a small project but has since grown. This is my second bike, so it's been a good project and learning experience for me. I need advice in where to start with tuning/jetting the carbs.
Here's the deal:

Bike ran fine 1 year ago on stock set up. has good compression, in spec.
I decided to run pods and open pipes. based on other posts have increased main jet from 125 to 135, and pilot from 45 to 50. Needle clip is in middle position, 3rd from bottom.

The bike will turn over and start, but must have choke on. when engine is warm i can turn the choke half way off, but all the way off kills it. When i twist the throttle from a stop, it bogs really bad for about 20 - 30 feet then pulls good.

My first thought was to drop the needle clip to a lower position (raising the needle). Suggestions as to where to start making adjustments? I understand all the adjustments that can be made, looking for advice on which ones to start with. Thanks!

Edit:
Realized this got posted to engine thread, anyway to move it to Carb?

77 kz750 twin.
pods, open pipes, rat smoker

2012 fz8
Last edit: 19 May 2014 15:31 by vandenbusschebr. Reason: application

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2014 22:43 - 19 May 2014 22:45 #633042 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Need advice on carb jetting - tuning - 77 750twin

vandenbusschebr wrote: The bike will turn over and start, but must have choke on. when engine is warm i can turn the choke half way off, but all the way off kills it.

Are you sure the carbs are clean and set up right (fuel level) and synced? No vacuum leaks at the boots? Check diaphragms for air leaks too that will cause hesitation on acceleration..

make SURE you have the carbs cleaned, synced and all other problems fixed before trying to tune it.

I have never tried to run straight pipes and pods. Sounds like a 50 pilot isn't giving enough fuel which makes me wonder if the carb's pilot circuit is clogged or dirty?

As I recall, 60 is as large as the pilot jet series goes.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 19 May 2014 22:45 by bountyhunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vandenbusschebr

• vandenbusschebr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2014 19:29 #633717 by vandenbusschebr
Replied by vandenbusschebr on topic Need advice on carb jetting - tuning - 77 750twin
Bounty hunter, thanks for the advice. cleaned out the carbs again today, reset everything to stock specs (pilot screws, idle screw, sync'd carbs, timing, cam chain tensioner). will check float level next when i get some tubing. still running 140 main's and 50 pilots as i don't have other pilots.

Doing this, she started up great, and does not have the hesitation. not sure if I had a vacuum leak before, but i don't anymore.

Still won't idle without choke though. it's better, but still requires about 1/3 choke with pilot screws 3 turns out. Do you Think a 55 or 60 pilot jet as next test if float levels are correct?

77 kz750 twin.
pods, open pipes, rat smoker

2012 fz8