Float height measurement 1990 kz1000p

More
15 May 2014 00:18 #632521 by Markovich
Float height measurement 1990 kz1000p was created by Markovich
Hi all, hope you can help me. The manual I have shows my dry float height to be 18.6mm. I just changed out the needle and seat assembly and the existing measurement I am getting is over 20mm. My question is does this 18.6mm measurement sound right to you? Seems my carbs must have been pretty far out of spec. I wanted to consult you before I start bending tangs. Thanks for the input, Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2014 02:36 - 15 May 2014 02:40 #632523 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Float height measurement 1990 kz1000p

Markovich wrote: Hi all, hope you can help me. The manual I have shows my dry float height to be 18.6mm. I just changed out the needle and seat assembly and the existing measurement I am getting is over 20mm. My question is does this 18.6mm measurement sound right to you? Seems my carbs must have been pretty far out of spec. I wanted to consult you before I start bending tangs. Thanks for the input, Keith

Wouldn't fret too much about the dry float height. Because, the carb doesn't really care about the "dry float height measurement" (which might or might not result in the correct fuel level).

What the carb does care about is the fuel level being within specs as determined by the clear tube test, which most manuals refer to as the service fuel level.

Would defer tang adjustment until needed incident to achieving the correct fuel level as determined by the clear tube test.

The specified dry float height measurement is supposed to result in the correct fuel level as determined by the clear tube test. But in practice, a "perfect" dry float height measurement often does NOT result in the correct fuel level as determined by the clear tube test.

When the delicate float mechanism was in as-new condition, unbent and unworn, the dry float height measurement had a better chance of resulting in the correct fuel level as determined by the clear tube test.

Nowadays, it's not unusual to find that the same identical dry float height measurement in every carb produces differing fuel levels in the carbs as determined by the clear tube test. And which necessitates readjustment of the tangs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 May 2014 02:40 by Patton.

More
15 May 2014 08:34 #632548 by Markovich
Replied by Markovich on topic Float height measurement 1990 kz1000p
Patton, thanks for the advice. I wasn't all that excited about moving any tangs unless absolutely required. Now, I can finish the carb assembly and carry on. Take care, Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.