Poor cold Idle / hard starting

More
20 May 2014 08:09 #633068 by bvallerand
Replied by bvallerand on topic Poor cold Idle / hard starting
I will check my valve lash and see what I get. My motor is shim on-top-of bucket so changing shouldnt be bad.

1976 Kawasaki Kz750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
20 May 2014 13:16 #633099 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Poor cold Idle / hard starting
The 750 twins used BS38 carbs through the 80 model year. They then changed to the BS34 carbs. As Patton indicated the early carbs did not make use of a pilot jet plug like some of the 34s do/did.

The 38s are rather heavy carbs, and the main and pilot jets screw into the bowl and not the carb body like they do on most other carbs. LIke most if not all of the Mikuni BS carbs, they do not have an actual choke system, but rather and enricher system. When you use the choke you are actually allowing more fuel not less air to enter.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
16 Jun 2014 16:34 #636901 by bvallerand
Replied by bvallerand on topic Poor cold Idle / hard starting
I finally got a chance to pull the valve covers off and measure the valve clearance...There was none. Ordered new shims from z1 and wow what a difference. My bike has never started or run this well. It really is an amazing night and day difference. It literally starts first try now with the choke on like it should. I am getting a little bit of popping (lean backfire I am assuming) occasionally when I yank the throttle hard. I am sure the carbs need to be re-adjusted. I am just sooooooooo happy my bike is running as well as it is :woohoo: .

Thanks everyone for the input.

1976 Kawasaki Kz750
The following user(s) said Thank You: undiablo