750 CV34 Jetting with pods and stock exhaust

More
04 May 2014 10:37 #631293 by MagnusMax
Hey guys, newb here. I've searched around but haven't seemed to find a thread with a combination exactly like mine: I've got a stock Kawasaki 4 into 2 exhaust, but pod filters, which were put on by the previous owner. Bike is an '83 Kz750 Spectre. He complained that the bike didn't run well, which is no surprise I guess since the carbs were not rejetted to compensate for the extra airflow of the pods.

I know that it would probably run better with the stock airbox, but all my airbox ducts, filter mounting stuff, etc. is missing, so it's a lot cheaper to buy some carb jets than it is to try to restore the factory setup.

Anyway, for this combination what jets should I try? Carbs are the older(?) version, with two main jets, 90 and 65. The jet needle is an N10A -not N01A as I have read on some threads, and not N100 as I have seen on other threads, but N10A.

Thanks!

1983 KZ750 Spectre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2014 17:16 #631446 by MagnusMax
Replied by MagnusMax on topic 750 CV34 Jetting with pods and stock exhaust
Alright, having done some research, it seems like the Spectres and maybe other shaft bikes had this particular stock jetting. As much as I would love to advance the art and science of kz carb lore by figuring out what works, I think realistically it's not a great idea in my case since I would actually like the thing to be rideable sometime in the next year, hehe. The accepted #70/#140 jetting probably won't work because I have no idea what kind of differences there are between the needles, and I don't think N01A jet needles are obtainable unless I want to buy a whole new rack of carbs.

So, I'm going to thoroughly clean the carbs as originally planned, but I will leave the jetting as stock, and then I think I'm going to start accumulating parts to return the factory airbox to service.

In the meantime, however, since I have pods on the bike now, I'll probably try the elastic wrist sweatbands jerry-rig to reduce the amount of air they flow, and see if that will get me by.

1983 KZ750 Spectre

More
05 May 2014 17:22 #631450 by 650ed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere's a start on the airbox search. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)