Oil and gas puddles

• danpcali
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I ride a 1980 kz650e
More
27 Apr 2014 10:14 #630580 by danpcali
Oil and gas puddles was created by danpcali
Noob here. I noticed oil and gas puddles under my bike after riding it and letting it sit for 3-4 days. I moved the bike and turned it from side to side and even bounced on top of it too see where the leaks were coming from. After I did that some small puddles formed. I looked under the bike and I did not see any dripping which lead me to believe the gas and oil came out of my tubes leading from my carbs. I did notice that the crank case filter being wet with gas and a very small puddle of gas forming around one of the nuts near it (circled in picture).

I live in Pittsburgh and its been about 65 degrees here. My bike idles at 2 rpms. So two thoughts came to mind:

1) Do I need a new crank case filter?
2) Am I running the bike at too high while it idles?

Is it possible that since I ride it too high that oil and gas are leaking out of it after I ride it and that is what I am noticing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachment IMG_8131.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_8131.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2014 14:51 #630605 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil and gas puddles
i would try this -

Pull that crankcase filter off and attach a fairly long piece of tubing to the breather. Run that tubing back to the rear fender then point it away from the tire. Clean the top of the engine squeaky clean. Then go for a decent ride, come back and let the bike sit. If liquid still appears on the top of the engine it must be dripping from the carbs or possibly leaking from the chain tensioner. Either should be easy to identify. If the top of the engine is still clean, the liquid was coming from the breather filter. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: danpcali

More
28 Apr 2014 02:26 - 28 Apr 2014 02:28 #630652 by ZERO
Replied by ZERO on topic Oil and gas puddles
That case "breather is VERY oily. Are you running a bit too much oil in the engine? Is the engine oil full of fuel leaked from the carbs? Is the top end worn out? The crank case "filter" should stay 100% dry with a healthy engine.

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100
Last edit: 28 Apr 2014 02:28 by ZERO.

More
28 Apr 2014 06:12 #630667 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil and gas puddles
IMO, a filter on the crankcase breather is absolutely useless, and should be tossed, and never replaced, ever. Unless of course the bike is stored on some foreign planet where alien oil-loving life-forms may try to crawl through the breather and into the crankcase.

Not only useless, such filter is actually harmful, as it becomes clogged and thereby obstructs free crankcase breathing, which causes an undesirable increase in crankcase pressure, resulting in leaking seals (and related problems).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
28 Apr 2014 06:16 #630669 by Patton
Here's an optional routing of a breather hose, down past the swing arm to exit underneath the bike.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• danpcali
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I ride a 1980 kz650e
More
28 Apr 2014 07:50 - 28 Apr 2014 07:52 #630680 by danpcali
Replied by danpcali on topic Oil and gas puddles
Thanks Patton. This is my first bike and I'm still learning. When I bought the bike the crankcase filter was installed. I plan on taking it off and following the advice you and Ed gave. I don't have the stock L shaped hose but was wondering if anyone has used materials purchased from Home Depot or Lowes to construct the L shaped hose? If so, any specific hoses, material, etc I should use?
Last edit: 28 Apr 2014 07:52 by danpcali.

More
28 Apr 2014 08:48 - 28 Apr 2014 08:54 #630686 by ZERO
Replied by ZERO on topic Oil and gas puddles
"breather" I was being sarcastic. They're for looks only those little filters. It's blow by or too much oil. Nothing should be venting but crankcase pressure.

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100
Last edit: 28 Apr 2014 08:54 by ZERO.

More
28 Apr 2014 16:59 #630743 by Patton

danpcali wrote: ... don't have the stock L shaped hose but was wondering if anyone has used materials purchased from Home Depot or Lowes to construct the L shaped hose? If so, any specific hoses, material, etc I should use?

When sizing the "L" and hose, try to maintain an interior diameter as large as the exit hole in the breather's nipple, so that there's no restriction anywhere along the routing between the breather cap and exit underneath the bike.

The "L" fitted to my Z1 was an off-the-wall item at AutoZone that happened to fit fairly snugly onto the breather cap nipple. Just snug has been tight enough and without any tendency to pull off, as there are no forces pulling on the hose.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 May 2014 03:48 #631787 by Patton
Here's another option ---

loudhvx wrote: I basically have the same setup Patton shows there.
I cut off the pipe and threaded in an elbow.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: stagchr, danpcali