Carburetor Sync

More
26 Apr 2014 14:29 - 26 Apr 2014 14:30 #630512 by ArchiTition
Carburetor Sync was created by ArchiTition
I need some advice,

I'm not asking about how to sync my carbs, that's pretty straight forward and I'm sure it's detailed somewhere on this site already. My problem is of a different nature,

On my '81 KX440 D, as those that are familiar will know, there is a linkage between the carbs that cause them to operate in unison. This is also where the screw/lock nut that adjust the synchronization exist. my problem is, when I went about syncing my carbs today, I find out the threaded portion of the 'throttle actuated pulley mechanism' which the sync screw threads into, is STRIPPED... :ohmy: This part is permanently (as far as I know) affixed to the left carb. and the original screw is a fine thread M5x0.5 with a specialized lock nut.

So that's my situation, how can i fix this adjustment mechanism? I'm not really sure where to go with this one.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

'81 KZ440 D
'78 Cb750 K *project*
Last edit: 26 Apr 2014 14:30 by ArchiTition.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
27 Apr 2014 06:51 #630554 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Carburetor Sync
Buy a tap, to go to a larger size, possibly a machine screw. Tap out the hole, and install a lager screw and lock nut.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
27 Apr 2014 17:56 #630620 by ArchiTition
Replied by ArchiTition on topic Carburetor Sync
I figured that was probably my only option; use a larger bolt and nut with a spacer to replace the special original lock nut. I will probably use #12 fine thread screw since standard fasteners are easier to come by and the 12 is in-between a M5 and a M6. Although I do hate having that one oddball non metric nut

'81 KZ440 D
'78 Cb750 K *project*