No Carb Kits for 79' KZ650D2

More
21 Apr 2014 07:19 #629838 by murquiza
No Carb Kits for 79' KZ650D2 was created by murquiza
So the story goes like this. I took apart my carbs for cleaning and noticed that the previous owner replaced the jets for 120 ones, the float needles were worn out and had to be replaced too, gaskets could be renewed and I decided to buy a set of car rebuild kits and one accelerator pump kit form Z1.

The kits came, nice and shinny, despite being kits marked for 77-78 it has most of the parts that I needed, I thought that the only thing that was going to happen is that I would have a couple of parts left over for the carburetor model of prior year KZs. I was wrong!

Carb Kits:
  • The bowl gasket is the wrong one, it has one missing big hole and it can't be used.

Accelerator Pump kit:
  • The square diaphragm instead of being a thick membrane it is composed of two thinner ones, similar to the petcock diaphragm. It will probably work OK but I will kip the old one just in case.
  • It comes with a set of:
  1. 16038-016 "0" RING,MAIN JET COV
  2. 92037-1123 CLAMP,SPRING,CHECK VL
  3. 13042-1004 WEIGHT,PUMP,CHECK VLV
  4. 92140-1003 BALL,STEEL,CHECK VALV
Which is something that goes in each bowl, so this is a component that have to be included in the carb kit and not the accelerator pump kit. I believe that the confusion here is that Kawasaki list this parts in the accelerator pump diagram explode only, but they are in each bowl.

I check again to see if someone sells a proper carb kit and all the kits seems to be the same, with more or less jets but all of them with the wrong gaskets.

I would have expected a proper kit coming form K&L and sold by Z1exterprises. The good thing is that at least these kits are not necessary very often. :angry:

Bikes:
1979 KZ650-D2 SR
2006 Vulcan 2000-A
2006 ZX10R
2008 Versys KLE650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2014 07:28 #629839 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic No Carb Kits for 79' KZ650D2
Sorry for all the hassle. I'm not a fan of "carb kits" for the reasons you mention. Good luck getting it all sorted out.

More
21 Apr 2014 08:50 - 21 Apr 2014 08:51 #629853 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic No Carb Kits for 79' KZ650D2
Not all bikes have the accelerator pump, so that's why the pump kit has that stuff. Often times, you'd probably only need to replace the rubber parts. Just an FYI, the small o-ring fits onto the pump nozzle base at the underside of the carb body. You could get a metric nitrile or viton o-ring kit for the other 3 nozzles. Or maybe Z1Ent has the size - they do list individual o-rings.... the kit might be cheaper, though.

As you've already discovered when getting float bowl gaskets, you need to make sure to get the correct ones as there are at least 2 different shapes for the KZ650 VM24s. When I rebuilt my carbs, I only replaced the gaskets & rubber stuff. The brass parts were fine.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2014 08:51 by martin_csr.

More
21 Apr 2014 09:05 #629856 by murquiza
Replied by murquiza on topic No Carb Kits for 79' KZ650D2

martin_csr wrote: Not all bikes have the accelerator pump, so that's why the pump kit has that stuff. Often times, you'd probably only need to replace the rubber parts. Just an FYI, the small o-ring fits onto the pump nozzle base at the underside of the carb body. You could get a metric nitrile or viton o-ring kit for the other 3 nozzles. Or maybe Z1Ent has the size - they do list individual o-rings.... the kit might be cheaper, though.

As you've already discovered when getting float bowl gaskets, you need to make sure to get the correct ones as there are at least 2 different shapes for the KZ650 VM24s. When I rebuilt my carbs, I only replaced the gaskets & rubber stuff. The brass parts were fine.

It's true what you say about the rubber parts, in this case the previous owner replaced the main jets and the float needles were really worn out an edge at the needle tip could be seen and felt.

There aren't many shapes for a 1979 D2 bowl, the gaskets included are as the kit label says for a 77-78 model, but Z1enterprises also sells those same kits for a D2 model, and they should include the proper gaskets.

If I have to rebuild them again I will only need the o-rings and may be gaskets, for this one I needed a kit and what is sold for the D2 model everywhere is not a the right kit.

About my comment on the accelerator pump, it is because the kit includes components (the listed) that should be part of the carb kit as those are part of the bowls and not part of the accelerator pump.

Bikes:
1979 KZ650-D2 SR
2006 Vulcan 2000-A
2006 ZX10R
2008 Versys KLE650

More
21 Apr 2014 15:27 #629884 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic No Carb Kits for 79' KZ650D2

murquiza wrote: ....

About my comment on the accelerator pump, it is because the kit includes components (the listed) that should be part of the carb kit as those are part of the bowls and not part of the accelerator pump.

I think the suppliers have already decided what should be in the kits. They've been doing them that way for years & years. :laugh:

More
21 Apr 2014 18:22 #629901 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic No Carb Kits for 79' KZ650D2
The problem is aftermarket carb kits are junk at best. I vowed I wouldn't constantly convey my thoughts on this to Jeff, but the fact remains. I've never seen a carb kit even remotely close to having the right parts. Just simply by eyeball glance reveals everything not quite right.
For example all the 22-28mm mikuni carbs use the same gasket from Kawasaki, and that is not that difficult to duplicate it seems to me, but no, they can't form a simple piece of paper to include the correct holes?
Yes even though 77 and 78 didn't use the pumps and 79 and up did, all the Kawasaki factory gaskets had the hole so they could work on either style carb.
Not aftermarket though, this hole is impossible to reproduce. Gasket junk? What are your odds on the remainder of the parts? :sick:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
21 Apr 2014 20:10 #629920 by murquiza
Replied by murquiza on topic No Carb Kits for 79' KZ650D2

RonKZ650 wrote: Yes even though 77 and 78 didn't use the pumps and 79 and up did, all the Kawasaki factory gaskets had the hole so they could work on either style carb.
Not aftermarket though, this hole is impossible to reproduce. Gasket junk? What are your odds on the remainder of the parts? :sick:

Carbs with pump are "special". As you can see the pump's bowl has an extra hole, so even including gaskets with the missing big whole is not enough to address for the difference. The solution is so simple, every bike has 4 carbs, so build a freaking kit with the right part for all the carbs.

Attachment IMG_9904.jpg not found

My solution for now is to buy the right gaskets :angry: and next time I will not throw away the old ones before getting the new ones. :sick:

Bikes:
1979 KZ650-D2 SR
2006 Vulcan 2000-A
2006 ZX10R
2008 Versys KLE650
Attachments: