Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel Line Runage 04 Jul 2006 16:54 #59349

• DoubleDub
  • DoubleDub's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
So I need some help rerunning my fuel lines from the tank to the carbs. I haven't seen any other kz's so the only bike I have to base my design on is mine...

Does everyone use fuel filters from the pipet to the carbs? These are being a pain in my butt for the fuel line.

Also, the stock 26mm carbs on my bike have to inputs for fuel. I have a single output pipet on the tank (not stock) which is split to fuel both inputs. I'm having the bike run short on fuel on load (combination of issues - gunk in the take plugging the screen, fuel filter needs to be replaced, possibly the splitter isn't fueling one side of the carbs as well as the other). Would switching to a dual output pipet be a better method for fueling these stock carbs?

Anybody have a picture of their fuel lines that I can see?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel Line Runage 05 Jul 2006 06:40 #59457

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Pipet? You mean petcock? Anyway, you already seem to have an aftermarket petcock. It never occured to me to take pictures of a gas hose so perhaps just a work of explanation would help clear this up for you. I use extra long hose because I work on carbs for a living and do it with the tank on the bike. I can prop the tank up and avoid using an external fuel source when tuning the carbs (for VM type carbs anyway)... If I was running a bike where the carbs weren't coming off often, here is what I would do...

FIRST, come out of your petcock using a gas line long enough to make a smooth bend. If you use too short a line, you will kink it and gas won't get through. Run this hose to an inline filter... Use perhaps 6" of line to the filter. I avoid using lawnmower filters due to the poor flow rate. Others have used them and they seem to work sometimes. I have used car filters in the past... the kind with 1/4" inlets. Be sure to have the filter pointed in the right direction. there is generally an arrow for fuel flow direction. I have had real bad luck using Fram branded filters as they seem to clog up almost immediately. I have started buying filters in bulk. You can get motorcycle fuel filters inexpensively from www.z1enterprises.com - Make sure you match the fuel inlet size with the size hose you are going to use. Most folks would do well with 5/16" ID hose... the black rubber stuff from any autoparts store works well. Use hose clamps.

Once you get the hose to the filter, come out with a short (about 4") piece of hose and go into a tee fitting. From the tee, run hose to your two fuel inlets.

The tee can also be purchased at any autoparts store... usually in the "HELP" section where they have the packages of fasteners and such. It is a "vacuum tee" made of plastic type materical and gas won't cause it to break down near as I can tell.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Fuel Line Runage 05 Jul 2006 18:58 #59571

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I have thought I would like an inline filter. Is the one you speak of clear? It would be good to know if gunk was coming out of my tank but I guess if it was it wouldn't run? Isn't there a screen in the tank?
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• Page: