breather or plug

More
11 Apr 2014 11:28 #628700 by bobbisman
breather or plug was created by bobbisman
78 kz650b. Just about done rebuilding the carbs and some pictures are showing 2 vent lines coming off the carb bodies. Mine had 2 rubber plugs instead. Does it make a difference? Vm24's. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
11 Apr 2014 13:50 #628707 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic breather or plug
I guess it depends upon which ports you are talking about. If they are the bowl vent ports then they need to be open to the atmosphere or the carbs will not work correctly. They provide atmospheric pressure on the fuel in the bowls, which is what allows the fuel to be pulled up via the jets in the carb. Here is a pic of the connections on the vm24ss carbs. This set has the vent ports on #2 and #4 and it also has a vacuum port to attache to a vacuum petcock on #2.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Attachments:

More
04 May 2014 15:34 #631309 by bobbisman
Replied by bobbisman on topic breather or plug
It's is the vent ports on the #2 and #4 carbs but instead of having a vent hose, they both have plugs. Exactly like these:http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemDescription=Carb+Holders+%285%29+Vacuum+plugs&item=KL11-4972. I'm assuming I should be using hoses and not plugs. I'm just confused as to why it ran with them plugged. Or does it not make a difference?

More
04 May 2014 15:37 #631310 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic breather or plug
It does make a difference. Unplug them and install tubes that run toward the rear of the bike. Mine terminate at the air box cap. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 May 2014 16:15 #631316 by bobbisman
Replied by bobbisman on topic breather or plug
Any reason they would have been there to begin with? The guy I bought the bike from had a bunch of stuff Jerry rigged. I'm just wondering if this is something he may have done to rectify a different carb issue