Cant find my Pilot screw

More
09 Apr 2014 17:15 #628460 by Jayblefty
Cant find my Pilot screw was created by Jayblefty
I have a 1980 kz440ltd. This is my second kz and my last one was the same model just three years newer. I have done a bunch of routine tune up stuff, valves, cleaned carbs and did a bench synch, plugs and oil. I want to reset the carb to factory settings because everything seems to be stock but i CAN NOT find the pilot screw... I have worked on other carbs and know what to look for but I can not for the life of me find the screw on this set of carbs, or even a place to put the missing screw. I am going to try to upload some pictures and if it works and anyone can point me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful. I am stumped and I am hoping adjusting the idle mix will stop the popping i am getting...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2014 18:01 #628466 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cant find my Pilot screw
Take a look at the diagram below. I suspect your pilot screw is hiding under a little plug. Ed

Attachment 00007_2014-04-09-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
09 Apr 2014 19:15 #628480 by Jayblefty
Replied by Jayblefty on topic Cant find my Pilot screw
Checked as soon as I got home and the spaces on both carbs that the diagram point to are solid. The little black cap is a plug for an inlet valve. I have one on both carbs.

More
09 Apr 2014 19:38 - 09 Apr 2014 19:38 #628485 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cant find my Pilot screw
Interesting. So is there no plug where the arrow points in the image below? If that's the case, I wonder if they are the same model carbs as stock? Ed

Attachment 00008_2014-04-09.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Apr 2014 19:38 by 650ed.

More
09 Apr 2014 20:04 #628489 by Jayblefty
Yes the front of both carbs look just like that with the little rounded bit but both are solid on top with no inlet to the carb or spot for a screw... Is there supposed to be a master carb and a slave carb? Is there a chance that I have two secondary carbs and no primary? I tried to upload a birds eye view pic of that spot on my carb but it wouldnt upload from my phone and its dark out now. I will mess with it in the morning and see if I can get some better pictures of it up. Thank you for the help so far tho!!!

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
10 Apr 2014 00:43 - 10 Apr 2014 00:47 #628509 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Cant find my Pilot screw
You are there and I am not so I am not telling you you are wrong. But IIRC the 1980 440 came with Keihin CV36 carbs (other than those sold in the West German market which came with Keihin CV32 carbs .

It is my understanding that the pilot screw on the cv36s is located just where Ed points to in his pic.
On the 32s they are on the side

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Apr 2014 00:47 by gd4now.

More
10 Apr 2014 05:14 #628526 by ZERO
Replied by ZERO on topic Cant find my Pilot screw
The cap will look like a tiny freeze plug. It might, at first glance look like it's solid. If it's a little steel cap, you've got to drill through it very carefully and pull them out with a metal screw. Then you'll see the needles underneath. If you drill, be carefull to stop the moment the bit cuts through the cap, or you will damage the needle.

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100

More
10 Apr 2014 11:28 #628566 by Jayblefty
I dug at the spot everyone is pointing to and it is most assuredly a solid piece of the carb body. I took the tops off to check the diaphram on both carbs and there is no screw that leads in from the inside ether... I must have some Chitty after market carbs sent from the depths of hell to make my life difficult :) I will make it work tho!!! Thank you all for the help. I will keep you posted on my progress and hopefully have it figured out soon. I spend all my extra time before and after work digging into this bike and the best part is my Wife is cool with it because it is her bike!!!!!

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
10 Apr 2014 11:36 #628568 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Cant find my Pilot screw
If you have the carbs off of the bike, then look into the throat of the carb from the engine side.

You should see a small opening just below the location where we think the pilot screw is located. Is there one there?

The attached shows this location. #2 in the pic.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Attachments:

More
10 Apr 2014 13:17 #628581 by Jayblefty
I will take them off when I get home and look at it. Just had them off this morning to double check all of the jets.