Running Rich??

More
05 Apr 2014 08:53 #627951 by happyhunter
Running Rich?? was created by happyhunter
I bought this 82 305 CSR back in November. It was very difficult to start. I cleaned tank and carbs and replaced the points. Finally I replaced the condenser and plugs at the same time; then it would start. Yeah!!

Over the next couple months as it got warmer (or less cold) I would ride it more. Here lately it has gotten hard to start again. I pulled the plugs and they look dark. I am color blind so reading plugs is not my thing I guess. Here is a pict.

I replaced the plugs and it starts again.

The bike runs well. This is my first motorcycle so I do not have much reference for how fast it is but it does run smooth. The plugs in the photo have about 120 miles on them. I am thinking it is running rich. What is your opinion?

How do I fix this. The bike still has the factory air box/filter on it. Would pod filters possibly lean it a bit? Can you get different size jets for the carbs? I have no idea of the history of this bike. I do not know what someone else may have done to this.

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
I did not set out to buy a project bike,
but I got one anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2014 18:55 #627991 by happyhunter
Replied by happyhunter on topic Running Rich??
The weird thing is it runs well, nice and strong. So, I think it is only a little bit rich. But it ruins plugs in just 100 miles. Seems like it would need to be really rich to do that damage.

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
05 Apr 2014 19:11 #627997 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Running Rich??
What spark plugs are you using? If they are the wrong heat range (too cold) they can foul pretty easily. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Apr 2014 19:20 #628000 by happyhunter
The owners manual says NGK D9EA. That is what I had that fouled and what I put back in. Gap is .026" as per book. Maybe that should change....

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
05 Apr 2014 19:25 - 05 Apr 2014 19:27 #628002 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running Rich??

happyhunter wrote: I bought this 82 305 CSR back in November. It was very difficult to start. I cleaned tank and carbs and replaced the points. Finally I replaced the condenser and plugs at the same time; then it would start. Yeah!!

Over the next couple months as it got warmer (or less cold) I would ride it more. Here lately it has gotten hard to start again. I pulled the plugs and they look dark. I am color blind so reading plugs is not my thing I guess. Here is a pict.

I replaced the plugs and it starts again.

The bike runs well. This is my first motorcycle so I do not have much reference for how fast it is but it does run smooth. The plugs in the photo have about 120 miles on them. I am thinking it is running rich. What is your opinion?

How do I fix this. The bike still has the factory air box/filter on it. Would pod filters possibly lean it a bit? Can you get different size jets for the carbs? I have no idea of the history of this bike. I do not know what someone else may have done to this.

Thanks,
HH

If needed, here's a link to download an Owner's Manual:
Click here > www.kaseydavis.com/1987KZ305LTD.pdf
(Recommends plugs shown in the photo.)

Would assure fresh clean clear unobstructed air-box filter (not blocked by a rag or gloves, etc. carried under the seat).

Assure choke is completely OFF.

Perform the clear tube test to confirm that the carb fuel levels are within specs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 05 Apr 2014 19:27 by Patton.

More
05 Apr 2014 19:46 #628009 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Running Rich??
That NGK D9EA is the same plug I see recommended in the book. Just thought I would check as sometimes wrong plugs are at fault; but not this time. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Apr 2014 16:06 #628599 by happyhunter
OK good weather and my schedule finally fit together. The spec in the manual says the fuel level should be 1.5 to 3.5 mm below the top of the bottom section of the carb. The left side carb is at the 1.5mm and the right side is at the 3.5mm distance.

I checked the airbox for stray socks, cats or dogs and found nothing. The air cleaner looks clean. Nice whitish yellowish color, no dirt.

I filled the tank up the other day; 2.5 gallons for 110 miles. Mostly running on roads with 35 - 45 mph speed limits.

I am guessing someone may have put in larger jets. I am thinking I might try pod filters. Would they really make much difference in the fuel ratio or is that overexagerated?

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
10 Apr 2014 19:41 #628635 by happyhunter
Would hotter plugs keep from fouling any better?

If I buy a pair of pod filters, is there any advantage to the spendy K&N brand. Will the cheap filters work as well?

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
12 Apr 2014 16:27 #628816 by happyhunter
OK I did some experimenting today. I decided to run it without the airfilter to see how it ran. First I took a photo of the plug as it is now - running rich with about 60 miles on them. Here it is...

Then I took out the filter and the air box, I disconnected the rubber tubes between the carbs and airbox - so air is going straight into the carbs. I rode it around a 2 mile loop. It ran HORRIBLE. I did not look at the plugs.

Then I put the rubber tubes back into place. They connect the carbs to the front portion of the airbox. I left the big part of the airbox and the filter off. I ran it around my test loop again. It ran poorly (better than without tubes but still pretty bad.

Then I put the airbox back into place without the filter. So, the only missing is the airfilter. In this state it ran pretty much like it normal. It might have been a little bit slower, less responsive, but not by much. Since I only ran a short loop it is hard to tell for sure which is better: with or without the filter.

So after the damage to my engine running without the filter I then pulled the plug to see what it looked like:

I am color blind and am not much good a reading plugs. How does that look?

After seeing what big difference a filter and airbox can make I really do not want to alter this any at all - no pod filters. I am going to look for a new factory air filter. I hope it helps.

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
12 Apr 2014 18:59 - 12 Apr 2014 19:00 #628826 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running Rich??
According to kawasaki.com, the air filter element part number 11013-1039 is "active," meaning available through Kawasaki dealerships.

It's also listed at Partzilla.
Likely that other sources could be found by Googling the part number.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Apr 2014 19:00 by Patton.

More
13 Apr 2014 09:58 #628876 by happyhunter
Yeah, I found Partzilla yesterday on a search. Good prices. The local Kawi dealer is also a nice backcountry road ride from my house. I will call them tomorrow at lunch and see if they stock it.

HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.