Backfiring...need help!

More
04 Apr 2014 05:06 #627788 by gwolever
Backfiring...need help! was created by gwolever
Hey guys. It just started to get a little warmer here in Iowa, so I finally got a chance to bring out my bike. It has been in storage for the last 5 months due to one of the worst, longest winters I can remember.

So I got her out and she started right up. Unfortunately, she backfires when I roll on the throttle. She was running just fine with no backfiring before I put her in storage in November.

I put a new fuel filter on her after this, but no change. I start her, let her warm up, and she still backfires every time I roll on the throttle.

I was wondering if this has ever happened to anybody else, and if you guys had any ideas of how to fix this.

Thanks!

1982 KZ1000 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2014 05:41 #627789 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Backfiring...need help!
Did it sit all that time without running and with fuel in the carbs? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Apr 2014 07:15 #627806 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Backfiring...need help!
You might want to consider some Seafoam or Techron in the tank and take a ride. If you get lucky the problem will resolve itself. If not, pull the carbs and clean them out proper like. The small passages through the choke and pilot circuits are particularly prone to varnish after storage.

Draining the carbs and using Stabil in the tank is highly recommended prior to long term storage. Failing to do this will result in the problem at hand.

Good luck with it.

More
04 Apr 2014 09:04 #627829 by gwolever
Replied by gwolever on topic Backfiring...need help!
I did not run the bike while in storage over winter. I put stabil in the tank and ran it for awhile before storing it.

I had just had the carbs cleaned, rebuilt, and tuned at Redline Cycle in Skokie, IL about 6 months prior to storage.

Could the carbs need cleaning again already?

I have some seafoam in the garage, so I can try putting some in a riding it for awhile to see if it goes away.

Thanks.

1982 KZ1000 CSR