Throttle Cable Adjustment

More
03 Apr 2014 13:20 #627704 by daless
Throttle Cable Adjustment was created by daless
I'm finding it impossible to get zero clearance between the throttle cable bracket and pulley stop at the carburetor as Clymer states there should be. The return cable is lengthened as far as it will go, and it seems like if there were just a bit more thread on each adjuster I could get it right, but there isn't. Is this an issue with the cable, or something else? If I leave it how it is will it be a problem later on? I feel like I've had this issue before and fixed it, but now can't remember how.

'77 KZ1000A1 - Mikuni VM29s, Kerker 4-1, K&N pods, LTD mags, Z2 seat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2014 13:30 #627707 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Throttle Cable Adjustment
Chuck the Clymer manual in the trash and get a Kawasaki Service Manual. I don't have the manual for your bike, but I can tell you that on the KZ650 there is suppose to be a 1.6-2.0mm gap there. The gap allows you to force the slides closed using the throttle grip. You adjust it so that gap is present then you twist the throttle grip hard to the closed position to test that it works. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Apr 2014 06:56 - 04 Apr 2014 06:58 #627802 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Throttle Cable Adjustment
If the handlebars & cables have been replaced, it's possible someone installed ill-suited cables.
When I installed lower bars on my 650-CSR, I got Z1R cables but they wouldn't work as there wasn't enough "slack" in one of them for my bike (end to end movement... of the inner cable within the outer sheath).
Last edit: 04 Apr 2014 06:58 by martin_csr.

More
04 Apr 2014 08:48 #627825 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Throttle Cable Adjustment
You could also pull the tank and check the routing of the cables. Rerouting them can (sometimes) give you a bit more slack.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
04 Apr 2014 10:16 #627840 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Throttle Cable Adjustment
With both cables as loose as they can be, I adjust the pull cable like a single cable with slight freeplay and good "snap" closed. Then slowly take the slack out of the push cable testing action as you adjust. Once the closing action slows down, back off the push cable a little until the throttle works as it should and lock them down.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125