Carb cleaner gas tank additive

• pazzadelivery
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Mar 2014 14:31 #626804 by pazzadelivery
Carb cleaner gas tank additive was created by pazzadelivery
Just wondering everyone's opinion on carb cleaners that are added to the gas tank of a bike in order to clean the carb/injectors without having to take the carb apart and clean it manually. I bought some of this stuff at a gas station and put it in my '78 750B and now it does not die when I turn the choke off.
What is your experience with this stuff? Is it a complete substitute for manually taking apart and cleaning the carb?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2014 14:33 - 27 Mar 2014 14:34 #626805 by GA Joe
Replied by GA Joe on topic Carb cleaner gas tank additive
I don't know much about carbs, (I just pulled and cleaned the Mikuni CV's on my GPz so I'm learning) but what I do know is that there is NO substitute for taking carbs off to clean.

You can go watch your hair in the sink, but your pits will stink until you get in the shower. :P
Last edit: 27 Mar 2014 14:34 by GA Joe.

More
27 Mar 2014 14:48 #626807 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carb cleaner gas tank additive
A lot of people run Seafoam in the gasoline. I typically add Lucas fuel conditioner all the time in the gas. If the carbs are really dirty, you can drain the carbs and put straight carb cleaner in them to soak for a few days.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: pazzadelivery

More
27 Mar 2014 14:50 #626808 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carb cleaner gas tank additive

pazzadelivery wrote: Just wondering everyone's opinion on carb cleaners that are added to the gas tank of a bike in order to clean the carb/injectors without having to take the carb apart and clean it manually. I bought some of this stuff at a gas station and put it in my '78 750B and now it does not die when I turn the choke off.
What is your experience with this stuff? Is it a complete substitute for manually taking apart and cleaning the carb?

The thing about old bikes is they have carbs which are open to the atmosphere through vents which means the gas oxidizes and deposits gummy varnish. Fuel cleaners and fuel conditioners typically remove this or slow it's growth.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: J.Holiday

More
02 Apr 2014 18:52 #627595 by GPzEric
Replied by GPzEric on topic Carb cleaner gas tank additive
I run cleaners in my fuel - they're good for preventative maintenance, but once the damage is done, say gas left in a tank for 17 years, they can't help you -

My wife asked me if I still loved her - I said "Honey, I love you more than new carburetor boots ! "
1982 KZ1100B2 (GPz)
1982 KZ750R1 (GPz)
(2) 1981 KZ550D1 (GPz) 1 mint, 1 under construction
1983 GS1100E