Struggling with 750 Keihin Rebuild

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Mar 2014 05:28 - 08 Mar 2014 05:28 #624495 by Nessism
Struggling with 750 Keihin Rebuild was created by Nessism
Did a full tear down and clean up on the carbs from my 750/4 and now putting them back together. Each body was fully torn down and soaked in carb dip. Everything going nicely until trying to get the choke linkage to operate smoothly. The return spring is very weak, and the butterfly's hang up. Have checked the spring every which way and I'm positive it's installed correctly. Going to take the carbs back apart and look for debris in the choke rod bores, but if anyone has any words of advise please share.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2014 05:28 by Nessism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2014 10:47 #624523 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic Struggling with 750 Keihin Rebuild
Yeah...I have the same problem. Two butterflys move nice, the other two supposed to move by the spring force doesn't.
Spring is very weak, may be you can put a stronger one?

Btw, I can live with that. You only have to (when you apply choke) push the metal that is part of the second shaft of butterflys...

If you small hands that is no problem.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

More
08 Mar 2014 11:42 #624526 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Struggling with 750 Keihin Rebuild
I had similar problem a few years ago. I had difficulty starting the bike and found that the choke butterflies were only operating on 2 carbs . I can't remember exactly what I did. I think I took the carbs off, cleaned all the linkages with Q tips and used light machine/lubricating oil.
I have never totally separated the carbs from each other for cleaning.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
09 Mar 2014 05:46 - 09 Mar 2014 06:45 #624593 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Struggling with 750 Keihin Rebuild
Thanks for the responses guys. The choke return design seems weak in my opinion. The spring coils around a post/boss cast into the carb body. Can't increase the spring preload by winding the spring tighter because as you do so the diameter reduces and the post is too fat. Thinking about shaving down the post so the spring can be wound tighter. Going to verify cleanliness of the carb bores and maybe run a little sandpaper though there to make sure there isn't any hidden corrosion. Also lightly polish the shafts. If that doesn't work, will go after that post...
Last edit: 09 Mar 2014 06:45 by Nessism.