pilot jet replacement

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
07 Mar 2014 14:43 - 07 Mar 2014 15:57 #624448 by Grumpy Ole Artist
pilot jet replacement was created by Grumpy Ole Artist
well here I am again, learning something new...just upsized main jets...easy. peasy...now, about thes pilot jets...where are they and how do I get to them?turned carbs over, pulled cap with 3 screws...this is what greets my befuddled eye...(and the good eye, too!) FSM is of no darn help...I see that they are stacked, one on top of the other...but as to actually GETTING TO THEM! Sorry for yelling...if there is already a thread for this (I had no luck searching) somebody throw me a line! Helllp! Edit: okay, I found pilot jets...duhhh! Now back to the top of the carbs...re: getting th e jet needle out to raise clip....stuck again...

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Mar 2014 15:57 by Grumpy Ole Artist. Reason: further confusion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2014 16:26 #624457 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic pilot jet replacement
They should be near the main jets,remove the float bowl, they may have a plug that you need to remove in order to get at them .

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
07 Mar 2014 17:07 #624459 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic pilot jet replacement
Ok, got the mains in, a little confusion on the pilots (once located! Hee...)according to my FSM and the esteemed mr saunders, I was expecting two stacked pilots...I dug (gently) with a smaller screwdriver(oversized jeweler's job, just resting and rotating) and only one pilot jet! Good news...the new parts went right in! In case nobody could tell, this is the first time I have dabbled inside my carbs...so far so great! Now if somebody could jump in with some insight on the jet needle removal...bolt...rocker arm looking deal, etc...? Thanx again, all!

1978 KZ650 B2

More
07 Mar 2014 17:56 - 07 Mar 2014 18:02 #624463 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic pilot jet replacement

Grumpy Ole Artist wrote: Now if somebody could jump in with some insight on the jet needle removal...bolt...rocker arm looking deal, etc...? Thanx again, all!

In your photo the bottom slotted screw/nut (kinda gold colored) is what sets slide height, (to synch the carbs) don't touch those unless you want to re-synch. The middle bolt, 10 or 11mm I think, holds the slide linkage (rocker arm looking assembly) to the control rod. Remove those from all 4 carbs, be sure to keep all parts with their carb, dont mix parts from one carb to the next. The upper JIS screw in your pic keeps the control rod from moving side to side, remove it too. You will also need to remove the end caps from the ends of the carbs, the return spring, and undo the bolt holding the throttle stop to the control rod. Then you can slide the rod out of either the left or right side, just work it slowly and don't let the 'rocker arms' get in a bind, keep 'em straight. The control rod has threaded holes, and since the hole for the throttle stop is off center, you can't put it back in backwards, but still keep it orientated correctly while out to avoid confusion later. Also notice how the return spring/throttle stop linkage is in there. It will fall out when free of the control rod. It can be put in upside down (or left out) and you wont notice it until you're almost finished putting it all back together. :blush:

After the control rod is out of the carbs, the slides, still connected to the 'rocker arms', will slide up and out. Again, don't mix 'em up! Then there are 3 (I think) little screws down inside each slide holding the cap to the slide, once those are out the needle and everything will come apart. Don't strip those little screws inside there! They aint philips, they is JIS.

Most will say you need to re-synch your carbs after doing all this, but its going to still be very close if you didn't undo the first slotted screw/nut I told you not too.

I think thats everything, your manual should have exploded views of all this stuff. If I forgot/ got something wrong, forgive me, been a long week. :unsure:

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F
Last edit: 07 Mar 2014 18:02 by 74ullc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grumpy Ole Artist

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
07 Mar 2014 19:27 #624474 by Grumpy Ole Artist
74...thanx SO much, man! I zipped over to work, and ran off a hard copy ...heading back to the carba cabana...I appreciate the road map to take with me! Sounds kinda daunting, actually, but gonna take a long hard look at it, "rejetting" seems to be going well so far...(with y'all talking me through it, LOL!) and with these "step by steps" in hand, well, now at least I have a damn good idea as to how to proceed (me crossing fingers) To date, I would have taken the carbs to a pro to do this stuff...these boards are gradually demystifying some of it...thanx again, all!

1978 KZ650 B2

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
07 Mar 2014 21:25 #624479 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Drumroll please...I think I just re-jetted my carbs! OMG, thanx 74!

1978 KZ650 B2
Attachments: