79 kz400 single stock carb

More
16 Feb 2014 23:38 - 16 Feb 2014 23:39 #622513 by bowman3058
79 kz400 single stock carb was created by bowman3058
So after letting my bike sit for the last few months, busy with work and my little girl, its finally time to start building it into a ridable, functioning bobber. I see alot of posts about people swappjng to single carbs, but i dont see anything about running a single stock carb. Is there a reason for this? If its jetted properly, why or why wouldn't this work? The only reason im questioning this is because i have one stock carb that is damn near perfect, and the other......not so much. Thanks for any input guys.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2014 23:39 by bowman3058.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Feb 2014 05:32 #622524 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 79 kz400 single stock carb
one stock size carb does not flow enough fuel or air to feed two cylinders. That's why it came with two.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
17 Feb 2014 08:19 #622539 by bowman3058
Replied by bowman3058 on topic 79 kz400 single stock carb
There would be no way to rejet it and make it work?

More
17 Feb 2014 09:28 #622544 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 79 kz400 single stock carb
There is probably some way to make it work. Often, when converting to a single carb, the new carb is not that much bigger, if at all, than one of the original carbs.

But the main problem is that it is very difficult to rejet the original carb properly. There are several air jets in addition to the multiple fuel jets. So many variables make it a trial and error nightmare. And you still have the potential problem of the diaphragm cracking or ripping.

The carb most often used for the conversion is a very simple, mechanical slide carb with two jets and a needle. There are so few variables, you can jet it without a whole lot of equipment or time.

On the KZtwins forum, there is someone selling single-carb intake manifolds that look really nice and are very affordable. The people on that forum will have a lot more detail on what carb to use.

kz400.createforumhosting.com/

More
17 Feb 2014 20:23 #622620 by bowman3058
Replied by bowman3058 on topic 79 kz400 single stock carb

loudhvx wrote: There is probably some way to make it work. Often, when converting to a single carb, the new carb is not that much bigger, if at all, than one of the original carbs.

But the main problem is that it is very difficult to rejet the original carb properly. There are several air jets in addition to the multiple fuel jets. So many variables make it a trial and error nightmare. And you still have the potential problem of the diaphragm cracking or ripping.

The carb most often used for the conversion is a very simple, mechanical slide carb with two jets and a needle. There are so few variables, you can jet it without a whole lot of equipment or time.

On the KZtwins forum, there is someone selling single-carb intake manifolds that look really nice and are very affordable. The people on that forum will have a lot more detail on what carb to use.

kz400.createforumhosting.com/

For some reason im having a hard time finding them. Lots of forums about people making them out of brass though. Might go to a local fab shop and see how pricey it would be for them to make me one. Probably more than an 11th hour manifold, but who knows. As soon as they are back in stock i will probably order one, unless i find somewhere cheaper than $150. Planning on starting the hardtail within the next few weeks, might do a build thread.