1981 KZ1000 suggestions

More
22 Jan 2014 12:35 #619661 by Shdwdrgn
1981 KZ1000 suggestions was created by Shdwdrgn
I've been scrolling through this group for the last half hour without any luck, time to start a new thread... I have stock carbs, a set of 4-to-2 pipes, and both pods and the stock airbox available. Of course everything I've read suggests that the pods are a royal pain, so I'll stick with the airbox for simplicity. I also have chains with two different sets of gears, and no clue how to decide which would be better suited for me (I've never ridden the bike, it was trashed when I got it, so no experience on how it started out).

So with a fairly stock starting point and a limited budget, what do you guys suggest for upgrades or mods to the carbs? They are mostly disassembled at this point, getting prepped for paint. It appears that PO installed new gaskets and floats, but I'll be checking to make sure they are set right. Otherwise the insides are very clean for something this old. Are the stock jets a good choice? Should I be looking for any other problems?

What about home-grown mods? Is it practical to try and polish the bores with a dremmel? Anything else I could do that might help out?

This is just a wild shot in the dark, but I'm not finding any discussions about problems/solutions for factory stock issues... either because there aren't any worth mentioning or because those discussions are buried too deep in the forum, but since everything is being torn apart, I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2014 12:53 #619664 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 1981 KZ1000 suggestions
with your 4into2 exhaust stock jets are probably close enough to start with.after you have it running you can do a plug check and decide if you need to change the jetting.

wasting your time to try and polish the inside of the carb throats.

use your stock carbs.save your money then buy these www.dynoman.net/carb/keiCR.html

in 33mm.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
31 Jan 2014 21:02 #620769 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic 1981 KZ1000 suggestions
It seems there are differences between the J and K carbs that I have... The J has a coasting richener on each carb, and each model uses a slightly different set of jets/needles.

So I'm wondering what affects these differences make in the way the engine runs, and which set might be better for me to use? I don't get out on the interstate much, I mostly ride on back country roads or up in the mountains. The engine is stock with a factory airbox, and there are no plans to overbore it or do anything exotic -- I just want to get it running again. Would one set be better for those conditions? I could even mix&match parts, if I had some idea of what affect that might have.

Of course we have snow on the ground again, cold temps and more snow predicted all through next week... not good weather for working in the garage. I may just have to fire up a heater so I can get these finished up!

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine