1981 kz305 carb slide stuck

More
17 Jan 2014 19:30 #619048 by TheWitmer
1981 kz305 carb slide stuck was created by TheWitmer
I pulled the carbs off on my bike to clean them out and noticed that one of the slides in the carb (called vacuum piston in the service manual) is stuck at a higher level than the other- and upon disassembling the carb further I noticed that the slide that's sticking is brand new, while the other is original.

Now this is where it gets weird: the slide won't close completely because there is some metal on metal contact between the slide and the carb body, which I found out after finding some metal dust on the slide. Now, while I was testing the operation of the slide, I accidentally turned it in the space it sits in, and to my surprise the slide fell all the way to the bottom with no resistance or stickiness, and it now functions the way it should- but the problem now is that the notch on the diaphragm (called the tongue in the service manual) doesn't line up with the space in the top of the carb body.

My question is does it really matter if the notch doesn't line up the right way? The service manual is full of warnings against putting things in the wrong way but it mentions nothing about the notch on the slide diaphragm not lining up the way it's supposed to- could it actually cause any problems?

I'll try to get some pictures of what I'm talking about uploaded, I just have to get one that isn't blurry

1981 Kawasaki KZ305CSR- newest bike
1982 Suzuki GS1000SZ Katana
1981 Suzuki TS250 Savage

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.