float level?

More
15 Dec 2013 17:23 #615570 by e.dishong2
float level? was created by e.dishong2
83 kz750 spectre 4cyl. I believe my float level on my two right carbs is too high. Or at least one of them. When I turn the fuel on and let the bowls fill. Gas starts dripping off the too right carb holders. Its smoking like hell from the right exsaust. My compression is good. My oil is also milkly?? I changed my oil before all this, the filter I got came with a big o-ring and a small one. I didn't put the small one on because I didn't think it was meant for my bike, now I'm thinking again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2013 18:15 #615572 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic float level?
Mine is milky from the cold weather we have been having here. Aluminum sweats a lot and causes the milkiness of the oil. Not sure if it will dry up all the way or not and my oil is not that old. I'll change mine later probably after winter. It's looks worse than what it is on my sight glass anyways.

Definitely don't want any fuel in the oil though. Should be able to smell it in the oil if it was a good bit getting into it.

So sounds like you need to clean the carbs or perhaps set the float height. If it just started and you have been using it for a while I would suspect it to be trash in your float needle and seat.

I want to say my little oring(KZ1000) goes on my filter thru bolt and the big oring on the housing of course. If it's not leaking oil than you don't have an issue.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

More
15 Dec 2013 18:59 #615575 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic float level?
As sbc2430 mentioned, it is more likely that you have a stuck fuel valve and probably not the fuel level issue. I would still check the fuel level using the clear tube method. That way if it is off, you can adjusted it when you take the float bowl and float off in order to clean the float valve. Install a good gravity feed fuel filter in order to avoid getting crud in the float valve again from the bottom of the fuel tank.

You probably do have fuel in the oil. If your oil level has unexpectedly started going up or you smell fuel in the oil then you should change the oil and filter again. The large o-ring is for the oil filter cover and the smaller o-ring is for the oil drain plug. Good luck.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
15 Dec 2013 23:04 #615585 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic float level?
Very common problem. Could be float level but more often it is because a bit of crud is on the tip of the needle or it is just gunked up. If there is a poor seal there, the carbs will overflow.

The fix is always the same:

1) Clean the tank and petcock to get the garbage out.

2) Install inline filters.

3) Drop the bowls. R+R the floats, needles and seats to clean them. If necessary polish the tips of the needles in a drill with 600 paper until they are dead smooth. Polish the brass seats if rough.

4) Set the fuel levels with a clear tube.

The above will absolutely fix the flooding problem.

1979 KZ-750 Twin