Removing Air Box - HELP!!!

More
09 Nov 2013 11:32 #612627 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Removing Air Box - HELP!!!

650ed wrote: I agree that much has been learned over the 30 years since the article was published, and VM carbs should be easier to dial in than CV carbs, but one statement in the article that I believe still rings true is where it states:

Removing the airbox and installing individual air filters of any brand is a modification we could only recommend to hard working individuals who would be willing to spend as much or more on jets as they spend on air filters, and who would be willing to spend days or weeks rejetting.

I know there are kits out there for rejetting carbs, but I haven’t read of any consistent formula that enables a person to rejet the carbs in a manner where they get it right the first time. Getting it right the first time may happen if a person is lucky, but from what I’ve read there’s quite a bit of fiddling required before the bike will run as well as it did in stock trim. So the point I was making was that before switching to pods the OP should be become very familiar with carb theory and be prepared to spend considerable time tuning the carbs. Ed

On some of that I agree, Ed, keeping in mind that the article was written about CV carbs. The "fortune on jets" is no longer true, as the DynoJet kits come with the proper jet sizes. The fortune is spent on the kit itself, which runs about $125 for my bike.
VM carbs are much easier, they just require several sets of main jets (around $8 per set) and adjusting the stock needles as required.
Tuning the carbs does require patience and several sets of plugs, and the clarity to clean them between runs. CV carbs are tuned from the top down (main jets, needles, pilot jet) where VM carbs are tuned from the bottom up. Since every single engine is unique, to expect anyone to get it right the first time would be silly, at best.
But I agree completely that lots of homework should be done before attempting the tune. As with most endeavors, up front work saves loads of time and frustration at the back end. Fortunately, there are lots of articles on the web about carb tuning.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
09 Nov 2013 16:22 #612641 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Removing Air Box - HELP!!!
Good luck again Russel but surely you are not comparing a single lung Enfield against a 4 lung machine when comparing air characteristics or flow. I had fun tuning a TriumphTrident triple 750 with a 3 bank of concentrics too. But these Jap 4s run best with a nice controlled air source. Always wanted a nice Triumph Tiger just for the simplicity. But Lucas spoiled it for me and now my heart is with the Kaw middleweights. But they gotta have an airbox to really steal my heart. Good luck and if that is your Enfield you did a super nice job. Good luck again

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
09 Nov 2013 20:56 #612666 by GPzEric
Replied by GPzEric on topic Removing Air Box - HELP!!!
I spent many hours on Kawi's tuning carbs with pods - it is a good learning experience.

On a stock engine you'll be lucky to get back to OEM horsepower levels with pods, and then getting the inside carbs and outside carbs to run the same is a challenge. Lots hotter air on the inside, especially in traffic, on a hot day.

My wife asked me if I still loved her - I said "Honey, I love you more than new carburetor boots ! "
1982 KZ1100B2 (GPz)
1982 KZ750R1 (GPz)
(2) 1981 KZ550D1 (GPz) 1 mint, 1 under construction
1983 GS1100E

More
09 Nov 2013 23:41 #612674 by russellm
Replied by russellm on topic Removing Air Box - HELP!!!

GPzEric wrote: I spent many hours on Kawi's tuning carbs with pods - it is a good learning experience.

On a stock engine you'll be lucky to get back to OEM horsepower levels with pods, and then getting the inside carbs and outside carbs to run the same is a challenge. Lots hotter air on the inside, especially in traffic, on a hot day.

Thanks GPzEric! I will try out the pods and see how it runs.

rm

More
09 Nov 2013 23:49 #612675 by russellm

Proxy wrote: Good luck again Russel but surely you are not comparing a single lung Enfield against a 4 lung machine when comparing air characteristics or flow. I had fun tuning a TriumphTrident triple 750 with a 3 bank of concentrics too. But these Jap 4s run best with a nice controlled air source. Always wanted a nice Triumph Tiger just for the simplicity. But Lucas spoiled it for me and now my heart is with the Kaw middleweights. But they gotta have an airbox to really steal my heart. Good luck and if that is your Enfield you did a super nice job. Good luck again

Proxy, you are right, comparing a single lung Enield with the Kaw is a poor comparison! I hear what you are saying, I just like the simplicity/look of the bike without the airbox, its just my individual preference on style and looks.
Yes, that is or was my Enfield, I just sold it last week, kind of bitter sweet. So, I'm now on to my new project the kz1000.

I do appreciate your thoughts and feedback as this is my first Kaw (besides my old 250 Endo dirt bike), and I joined this forum looking for feedback from those with experience and knowledge. I will go ahead with the pods and see how it turns out, and if I am unhappy with the results, I can always put the airbox back in.

Thanks again,
cheers.
Russell

rm

More
10 Nov 2013 06:28 - 10 Nov 2013 06:35 #612686 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Removing Air Box - HELP!!!

russellm wrote: . . . looks . . . .

Stacks look even better. :woohoo:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Nov 2013 06:35 by Patton.

More
10 Nov 2013 07:22 #612693 by GPzEric
Replied by GPzEric on topic Removing Air Box - HELP!!!
I tossed my notes and extra parts I had in the 90's - or I'd make you a gift of them.

It's a wonder I never got killed or DL suspended for jetting in bikes - especially main jet size -

I'd screw in a set of new B8ES plugs, hit I-90, put it in 5th gear, twist the throttle wide open, run it a good mile, hit the kill switch, coast over, get out the socket and start pulling plugs. I never had the bad luck of having an MHP car sitting there, or a car pull in front of me.

It was nice being young, 10' tall, and bulletproof :)

My wife asked me if I still loved her - I said "Honey, I love you more than new carburetor boots ! "
1982 KZ1100B2 (GPz)
1982 KZ750R1 (GPz)
(2) 1981 KZ550D1 (GPz) 1 mint, 1 under construction
1983 GS1100E

More
12 Nov 2013 11:11 #612886 by bemoore
Replied by bemoore on topic Removing Air Box - HELP!!!
I'll throw in one more vote to keep the airbox. At the very least, don't throw it away. I tried pods. Luckily I kept my airbox because after a couple of years of crappy running, I went back to it. I could never get rid of the stumble off idle. Now, I won't even consider owing a bike with pods, unless I'm 100% sure I can replace them with an airbox.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

More
13 Nov 2013 11:09 #612978 by russellm

bemoore wrote: I'll throw in one more vote to keep the airbox. At the very least, don't throw it away. I tried pods. Luckily I kept my airbox because after a couple of years of crappy running, I went back to it. I could never get rid of the stumble off idle. Now, I won't even consider owing a bike with pods, unless I'm 100% sure I can replace them with an airbox.

Thanks bemoore, Im keeping the airbox just in case!

rm