Needle jet installation

More
28 Oct 2013 18:49 #611463 by bemoore
Needle jet installation was created by bemoore
I pulled all the needle jets from the VM carbs on my 650. Now, I'm having trouble getting one them to go back in. Any tricks of persuasion you guys would care to share? I haven't tried mixing and matching them yet. I wanted to keep each jet with the carb it came from, but I may try swapping them around. Should that cause any fueling problems?

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2013 20:40 #611479 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Needle jet installation
That's odd it should slide right back in. Can you provide any pics of the issue?

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
29 Oct 2013 02:45 #611491 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Needle jet installation

bemoore wrote: I pulled all the needle jets from the VM carbs on my 650. Now, I'm having trouble getting one them to go back in. Any tricks of persuasion you guys would care to share? I haven't tried mixing and matching them yet. I wanted to keep each jet with the carb it came from, but I may try swapping them around. Should that cause any fueling problems?

Am thinking -- but not positive -- that the needle jets are a press fit into the carb body , and that a wooden dowel might have been used to drive them out. :unsure:

In any event, could leave the jets in the refrigerator freezer for a few hours, and attempt to reinstall them while they are "frozen."

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Oct 2013 04:18 - 29 Oct 2013 04:19 #611497 by bemoore
Replied by bemoore on topic Needle jet installation

Patton wrote: Am thinking -- but not positive -- that the needle jets are a press fit into the carb body , and that a wooden dowel might have been used to drive them out. :unsure:

This is correct. For the others, I dropped the needle jet into the tube it goes into, then pushed it in with the emulsion tube, which screws in. I usually just work the emulsion tube around a little, and the needle jet would eventually get properly positioned so that I could push it on in with the emulsion tube. I tapped them out using a drill bit.

Patton wrote: In any event, could leave the jets in the refrigerator freezer for a few hours, and attempt to reinstall them while they are "frozen."

Good idea. I'll give that a try.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1
Last edit: 29 Oct 2013 04:19 by bemoore.

More
29 Oct 2013 05:17 #611500 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic Needle jet installation
Sorry I didn't reply back yesterday. I wonder if on that carb body there may be a slight burr on the lip or inside the hole where the jet goes. They usually just pop right in.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Oct 2013 05:57 #611501 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Needle jet installation

bemoore wrote:

Patton wrote: Am thinking -- but not positive -- that the needle jets are a press fit into the carb body , and that a wooden dowel might have been used to drive them out. :unsure:

This is correct. For the others, I dropped the needle jet into the tube it goes into, then pushed it in with the emulsion tube, which screws in. I usually just work the emulsion tube around a little, and the needle jet would eventually get properly positioned so that I could push it on in with the emulsion tube. I tapped them out using a drill bit.

Patton wrote: In any event, could leave the jets in the refrigerator freezer for a few hours, and attempt to reinstall them while they are "frozen."

Good idea. I'll give that a try.

Oh you could have damaged those jets doing that. Mushroomed the tops, possibly the tightened the jet hole itself. That Brass is real soft, using steel agaist it and tapping with a hammer would be not recommended. :(

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...