oil in airbox

More
21 Oct 2013 23:56 #610765 by nickleo373
oil in airbox was created by nickleo373
Hey everyone
A while ago I had to re-adjust my float heights because i was getting fuel in my crankcase and air box. I fixed that and the bike was fine for three months. Today i was inspecting my air filter and found there was oil inside the air box. I checked the oil in the crankcase and it was below the halway mark. I can't tell the difference between gas smell and oil smell so I cant sniff test it but the last time my airbox had fluid in it, there was too much fluid in my crankcase and my bike was smoking bad. This time there's no smoke and not enough oil. I've put about 800 miles on the bike since it's last oil change so I know some of it will be burned off, however this seems like a lot of oil missing for 800 miles worth of riding.
Any ideas as to what would cause the oil to come up into my air box?

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Oct 2013 09:08 #610785 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic oil in airbox
Make sure your checking the oil level with the bike warmed up a bit, then let it sit for a good 5 min level on the center stand if you have one. I'd clean out the oil from the Airbox and make sure the oil level is ok. Then ride it some more, check it again and see if you get more in there. Its usually from being overfull.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
22 Oct 2013 14:49 #610838 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic oil in airbox
I let it sit overnight with cardboard under it to check for any oil leaks and didn't find anything. I ran it for a few minutes and put it on its stand for 5 minutes and it's still lower than halfway but there wasnt any more oil in the air box. I did notice a small valve cover leak while the engine is over 5k rpms

1981 KZ550C LTD

More
02 Jun 2014 22:44 #635095 by stagchr
Replied by stagchr on topic oil in airbox
Just out of a morbid sense of curiosity, what could potentially cause this other than having too much oil in the bike? I ran into this exact problem a couple of years ago, and chewed through those crap stock air filters like marshmallows.

The problem just kinda vanished after a long winter, and I never could figure it out.

Lincoln, NE
1981 KZ550C
1982 KZ305 CSR (once upon a time)

\\\\\\\"Is that helmet full of idiot? Why is it on your shoulders?\\\\\\\"

More
03 Jun 2014 10:06 #635136 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic oil in airbox
My float needles and seats were causing gas to flow all the time which leaked gas into the crankcase. I replaced them and adjusted the float heights a bit and the problem stopped. You may have had a small amount of dirt in the float needles that eventually fell out causing the leak to stop

1981 KZ550C LTD