1988 kz1000p carburetor flooding

More
21 Oct 2013 10:58 #610696 by jakedude
1988 kz1000p carburetor flooding was created by jakedude
I replaced the float needles and needle seats as well as the floats on all four carburetors. I installed them back on the bike but left the air box off and connected the carbs to the petcock. I put the petcock on prime and wait. After about 5 minutes one or more of carburetors start to drip fuel from the intakes.

I have rebuilt several carburetors in my day and never had this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2013 16:49 #610731 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1988 kz1000p carburetor flooding
In-line filter installed?
If not, new float valves may already need re-cleaning.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Oct 2013 18:35 #610741 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic 1988 kz1000p carburetor flooding
I was thinking about putting in an in-line filter. The petcock has a filter. The needle valve seats have a filter screen. I figured that would be enough. An aftermarket inline filter may do the trick. I'm ready to try anything.

Keep the ideas coming people.

More
21 Oct 2013 19:54 #610748 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1988 kz1000p carburetor flooding
Assuming it's a vacuum petcock, set it to ON or RES, then check to see if it leaks.

Also, do the Service Fuel Level check to verify that the fuel level in the carburetors is correct.

In theory it probably shouldn't leak when set to PRI, but in actuality it seems fairly common - mine leaks if I inadvertently leave it in PRI, but ON & RES are fine. My tank, petcock, & carburetors are clean and in very good condition. The petcock screen is good and there is a new in-line fuel filter & fuel line. The fuel level in each carburetor is set exactly at 3.0 mm below the carb body. In other words everything has been carefully checked, but PRI will leak a small amount sporadically.

More
21 Oct 2013 20:03 - 21 Oct 2013 20:04 #610750 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 1988 kz1000p carburetor flooding

martin_csr wrote: Assuming it's a vacuum petcock, set it to ON or RES, then check to see if it leaks.

Also, do the Service Fuel Level check to verify that the fuel level in the carburetors is correct.

In theory it probably shouldn't leak when set to PRI, but in actuality it seems fairly common - mine leaks if I inadvertently leave it in PRI, but ON & RES are fine. My tank, petcock, & carburetors are clean and in very good condition. The petcock screen is good and there is a new in-line fuel filter & fuel line. The fuel level in each carburetor is set exactly at 3.0 mm below the carb body. In other words everything has been carefully checked, but PRI will leak a small amount sporadically.

+1
Prime only to fill the carb bowls after bike has been sitting

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 21 Oct 2013 20:04 by JR.

More
21 Oct 2013 20:57 #610755 by jakedude
I checked and achieved 3.0mm below the carb body as part of my carb rebuild.

I have a hard time believing, from a liability standpoint, that Kawasaki would build a motorcycle that would dump the contents of it's gas tank when left on prime. Sure it would take time, but I was dripping about 1 drop per second. If I left that bike in the garage over night I would have a gallon of gas on my garage floor or more.

No it did not drip when not running with the petcock in ON or RES. That's not too surprising since the petcock is off when the engine is not running.

I have to believe that when running and vacuum opens the petcock that I would not be running too rich with carbs flooding.

I try an inline filter, purge the gas tank and let you know.

More
17 Jan 2014 15:50 #619009 by jakedude
I fixed the flooding problem by switching to Viton rubber tipped float needles. I could then leave the petcock on prime indefinitely without flooding.