Broken hose identification

• danpcali
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I ride a 1980 kz650e
More
13 Oct 2013 03:00 #609825 by danpcali
Broken hose identification was created by danpcali
Hi guys, noob here again. About a week again I dumped by 1980 kz650e. It ran strong up until today when it kept staling out on me and sounded like the engine was kind of labored. Ended up pushing the bike home and when I did I noticed a hose towards the back of the bike near the rear wheel had snapped and was leaking a dark substance (I think my engine oil). Does anyone know what this hose is for and what the correct name of it is? I checked my manual and it's not identified. I want to go to my local cycle gear store to see if they have a replacement.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2013 09:11 #609834 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Broken hose identification
If it is still connected, check to see where. It could be the airbox drain tube. If you have pod filters, it could be from the crankcase vent (breather cover). When you dumped the bike, I'm guessing oil could have gotten into the airbox. Be sure to check the engine oil level - motorcycle preferably on the center stand & level.
The following user(s) said Thank You: danpcali

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
13 Oct 2013 15:11 #609861 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Broken hose identification
nice bike...sorry it hit the pavement.

Did you smell it to see if it had gas in it?

Do you have pods or factory air-box? If you have air-box...oil got into it while on side and drained out though tube when upright as it was designed to.

• danpcali
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I ride a 1980 kz650e
More
13 Oct 2013 16:13 #609868 by danpcali
Replied by danpcali on topic Broken hose identification
I have air pods.

A few corrections: the hose I was referring to did not snap and the "hose" I was referring to is one of the vacuum hoses that comes out of the carborator.

I believe you guys are right. Engine oil (not gas) must of leaked into the carborator when I dumped the bike. Weird thing is I dumped the bike a week or so ago and have been riding it since without problems. I guess it just took some time to work out.

Any remedy for this, or if I just run the bike and let it work itself out the best and easiest thing to do?

More
13 Oct 2013 16:27 #609870 by dadgonebroke
Replied by dadgonebroke on topic Broken hose identification
The hose is pretty small- looks like a carb overflow hose to me.

More
13 Oct 2013 16:28 #609871 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Broken hose identification
For curiosity's sake I'd probably drain the carbs into a clear plastic container & examine whatever comes out.

Since you have pod filters, is there a crankcase breather filter or is there a vent tube routed similarly to the one in the photo?

More
13 Oct 2013 17:08 #609876 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Broken hose identification
Not to change the subject but.....You about to lose your kickstand!!!

The pivot bolt is backing out, and it is missing the locking nut on the backside of pivot bolt!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, danpcali

More
13 Oct 2013 17:32 #609878 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic Broken hose identification

Dr. Gamma wrote: Not to change the subject but.....You about to lose your kickstand!!!

The pivot bolt is backing out, and it is missing the locking nut on the backside of pivot bolt!

Good eye there i seen that too!

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Oct 2013 17:47 #609881 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Broken hose identification
Are you sure that its not gas leaking? As when it drips onto pavement it dissolves the pavement, making black oil. When the bike fell/ dropped, you might have gotten some junk into the fuel inlet to the carbs. Then the needle and seat for the float valve got some junk in it, causing the fuel level to overflow. That looks like the carb overflow tube.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• danpcali
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I ride a 1980 kz650e
More
13 Oct 2013 18:34 #609889 by danpcali
Replied by danpcali on topic Broken hose identification
Been doing some diagnostics and here is what's happening:

1. I start the bike in neutral with the choke all the way open. When I do, the bike goes to 4rpms. I let it idle for about a minute then I close the choke. About two seconds later, dark oil comes streaming out of one of the carborator hoses. The bike did this for about four or so times today...and still is doing it.

2. A new problem developed, I'm getting flames shooting out of my exhaust pipes when they backfire and I have gas leaking from my air pod closest to the kickstand side of the bike. The gas will continue to drip when the bike is off too.

3. Dr. Gamma thanks for the kick stand tip!

Any ideas what's going on
Attachments:

More
13 Oct 2013 22:41 #609911 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Broken hose identification

danpcali wrote: ... have gas leaking from my air pod closest to the kickstand side of the bike. The gas will continue to drip when the bike is off too....

Float valve is mal-functioning for whatever reason.

Gasoline rising up into the carb bore has likely also flowed forward into the combustion chamber and down past the pistons into the crankcase.

Would sniff-test the crankcase oil and examine its physical condition, as it may have become diluted with gasoline.

Would not run the engine until the problem has been resolved, and the oil and filter changed.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD