More Main Jet Woes

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
11 Oct 2013 09:27 - 11 Oct 2013 09:30 #609629 by PaulyWally
More Main Jet Woes was created by PaulyWally
So... I still can't get the main jet out of the float bowl. For almost a week I've been soaking it in a combination of PB Blaster, Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner, and Gunk Carb Dip. No dice.

As I look at it, and compare it to the other carb, it looks really "off". By the looks of it, I would guess it is possibly soldered, or "glued" in with something (hopefully not JB Weld). I have to get the jet out. It is unusable in the state it's in.

So, I have a bunch of questions. But the only thing I can think of right now is, what could possibly have been used to glue/solder/affix a brass jet into an aluminum float bowl so well? I have soldering irons, marine stripper (removes hard lacquer), and adhesive softener. I'm just wondering what I should try hitting it with.

Currently, I'm looking for another float bowl (or carb assembly) to replace it. But I'm not willing to pay an arm and a leg for it. So it's a slow search. I will also be taking the float bowl into a bike shop to see if they can work on it or recommend someone in the area.

Any thoughts at all are much appreciated!

1976 KZ750 Twin
Last edit: 11 Oct 2013 09:30 by PaulyWally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2013 11:17 - 11 Oct 2013 11:18 #609644 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic More Main Jet Woes
Perhaps the main jet was forcefully screwed in after being started cross-threaded.

If impossible to grip the main jet tightly enough to twist it out, it may be necessary to drill it out.

When drilling out a jet, it's best to use a reverse cutting drill bit so that the destroyed jet will hopefully self-extract while drilling.

Use one of the other carbs to measure diameter of the female threads and assure fitment of a correct size drill bit that isn't too large, as it's important not to damage the female threads where the new main jet will be inserted.

Drill slowly and carefully.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 Oct 2013 11:18 by Patton.

More
11 Oct 2013 16:40 #609676 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic More Main Jet Woes
The jets in mine were so tight from the factory that I thought they would break when I was unscrewing them. They let out a loud CRACK when they finally released. If anybody did use an adhesive, it might be Loctite but I don't know why anybody would.

1979 KZ-750 Twin