Carb Rebuild - Jets are "Frozen"

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
06 Oct 2013 20:38 #609001 by PaulyWally
Carb Rebuild - Jets are "Frozen" was created by PaulyWally
I got one carb cleaned and rebuild with all new parts. The second carb is giving me problems. Neither jet will come out. And I stripped the main jet pretty good. There still might be a little grip left on it, but that brass(?) fell apart like butter when I tried to unscrew it.

I think the pilot jet is still in pretty good shape. It's been soaking in PB Blaster for almost 2 hours, and I'll likely let it soak longer. Maybe even overnight.

Anyway, what is the best way to back them out? I assume a screw extractor might just drill a hole through it? I don't know. It's such soft metal that I don't want to try anything more until I hear from someone with more experience.

Thanks!

1976 KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2013 21:40 #609003 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Carb Rebuild - Jets are "Frozen"
Try acetone and transmission fluid mixed in equal parts. Only mix up what you will use
and do not store any extra in a closed container. It will build up pressure. If they can not
removed by normal means, a small rotary tool like a Dremel can be used to whittle away
material along with a dental type prick to pry things out.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
06 Oct 2013 21:43 #609004 by hill
Replied by hill on topic Carb Rebuild - Jets are "Frozen"
Do the mains come out with a socket? then use pliers & wrench to get jet out

More
06 Oct 2013 21:59 #609006 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carb Rebuild - Jets are "Frozen"
The 750 twin jets need a special screwdriver with correct blade thickness and width. Usually, somebody uses a thin blade screwdriver and tears up the jet slot then you are hosed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
06 Oct 2013 22:00 #609007 by bountyhunter

hill wrote: Do the mains come out with a socket? then use pliers & wrench to get jet out

The mains are under the drain screw in the bottom of the bowl. Uses a slot screwdriver to remove.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
06 Oct 2013 22:01 #609008 by PaulyWally
Replied by PaulyWally on topic Carb Rebuild - Jets are "Frozen"

hill wrote: Do the mains come out with a socket? then use pliers & wrench to get jet out

Please clarify what you mean by "mains". (sorry. I don't have the vocabulary yet).

The jets are buried. They are each a good 1/4" underneath the surface. So I can't get anything wider than about 1/8" in there. It's going to have to be some kind of driver... or driver-shaped tool.

I can do a drillbit, pick tool, screwdrivers, etc.

1976 KZ750 Twin

More
06 Oct 2013 22:02 #609009 by bountyhunter

PaulyWally wrote:
Anyway, what is the best way to back them out?

Get all your flat blade screwdrivers. Find the one whose blade thickness exactly matches the notch on the top of the jet. Grind the screwdriver width to match the width of the jet, then you have the tool you need to remove jets.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
06 Oct 2013 22:18 #609012 by hill
Replied by hill on topic Carb Rebuild - Jets are "Frozen"
I thought the main jets were like the kz900.Im not familiar with the 750 twin.
Sounds like bounty hunter has the right idea.

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
06 Oct 2013 23:07 #609017 by PaulyWally

bountyhunter wrote: Grind the screwdriver width to match the width of the jet, then you have the tool you need to remove jets.

Good idea! Thanks!

Yeah, someone chewed them up a little bit before I got to them. I got both out of the 1st carb with a little PB Blaster. The pilot came out of the 2nd with a little PB Blaster, but the main is still in there. And it's pretty chewed up. I put it in a Gunk Carb Dip. Hopefully that'll help loosen it too.

And I did use a screwdriver that is darn close to the size of the jet. I looked all over for one that fit really good, so it's not like I just went in there with any old driver.

1976 KZ750 Twin

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
06 Oct 2013 23:14 #609021 by PaulyWally

hill wrote: I thought the main jets were like the kz900.Im not familiar with the 750 twin.
Sounds like bounty hunter has the right idea.

Sorry... I got backwards when you said "mainS". Yeah, the main jet is under the drain screw. The pilot is in the inside of the float bowl - screwed in under the surface. Both are flathead screwdriver (style) only.

They are a really odd size for American tools (like everything on these old Japanese bikes). But I used to be an automotive electronics tech... so I just happened to have a flathead bit that is the right length, and just a tad under thickness. I doubt I could grind one down to be a better fit. But I'm not going to force it, either.

1976 KZ750 Twin

More
08 Oct 2013 16:19 - 08 Oct 2013 18:04 #609263 by Hemp
Replied by Hemp on topic Carb Rebuild - Jets are "Frozen"
BountyHunter has the right idea, unfortunately you've already stripped out the jet so there's not much for the right size screw driver to grab on to.

There are two options I can think of for removing such a small stripped jet...

Option #1: Safest option.
Drill out the jet with successively larger drill bits. This takes patience, several small bits and lots of light to see what you're doing. Calculate the I.D. of the threads in the carb and use the nearest undersized bit for your final drill. If you're bit is too big you'll drill out the threads in the carb bowl. When you're done drilling, all that will be left of the jet is some flaky brass in the threads that usually drops out with some aggressive picking and wire brushing.

Option #2: Risky option
Soak jet with penetrating fluid, heat and cool with small torch, repeat several times. Clean assembly so no gunk or penetrating fluid remain. Get a small flat head screw driver. place carb bowl gasket side down on a flat piece of wood. Place screw driver against jet and give it several gentle whacks with a hammer so the screw driver tip wedges itself into the brass. while applying pressure try to back out the jet. This method has worked for me several times. The thread are often distorted and need to be chased with a metric tap so my new jets will screw in smoothly. I have forced in new jets with out chasing the threads but that's pushing your luck.

There are also "Easy Out" bits but I've never sourced a set for such small applications. Might be worth researching.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2013 18:04 by Hemp.