KZ1000G Question

More
03 Oct 2013 22:59 #608712 by OL BILL
KZ1000G Question was created by OL BILL
I have an 1980 classic and have no experience on an injected bike even though I have ridden since the late 60's and have had several KZ's. Mine is a project bike and believe it or not a 4500 mile one owner (before me) bike. Bike sat 7 months before I got it. Anyway, i believe the previous owner (now deceased) or his brother, from whom I got the bike (administrator of his estate)had tried getting the bike running. Long story short, I believe there is a relay, sensor or some electrical component missing. After opening the seat and looking down toward the battery, on the rearward frame cross brace there is bracket with 2 holes, also I have an electrical connector (I call them Bosch connectors) that is rectangular in shape with a ''wire lock'' around it where it would lock on to a component, and I cannot find anything to plug it in to. I'M thinking whatever mounts to that bracket connects to the wire / harness. I would appreciate any help, input or possibly an under seat pic for comparison.
Thanks in advance.
OB

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Oct 2013 23:03 #608714 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1000G Question
Computer. Missing the computer.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 Oct 2013 23:23 #608720 by OL BILL
Replied by OL BILL on topic KZ1000G Question
The computer mounts to the underside of the seat, that all there and all harness plugged in. Air box complete with tps,
fuel pump, regulator all accounted for.
Thanks,
OB

• Motor Head
  • User
More
03 Oct 2013 23:32 #608721 by Motor Head
Picture of the spot where the bolt holes are and harness of the part?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
03 Oct 2013 23:35 #608722 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ1000G Question
The air box has a moving vane, connected to a variable resistor, or switch. I'd imagine the engine has a temp sensor(usually below /between #1 and #2 on the intake side)and there should be an air temp sensor too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 Oct 2013 23:37 #608723 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ1000G Question
Sometimes, the air box can be found at www.redlinecycle.com as they get "G" model parts in once in a while.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 Oct 2013 23:51 #608725 by OL BILL
Thanks guys, I'll try to get a pic tomorrow of the area I'm referring to. All the components appear to be there in and around the airbox, throttle body area, as it's pretty dusty / dirty and appears undisturbed. I installed a new battery and noticed the harness / wire I'm referring to. I hit the starter button just for a second and it turned fine, all lights, signals, horn, neutral light everything came on and worked fine. Oil and filter changed, new plugs, tank looks good, as it was drained, I put about a gallon of fresh gas in and sloshed around for a while and dumped / drained. Would like to find all components and try to fire her up soon.
Thanks again.
OB

More
04 Oct 2013 00:01 #608727 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000G Question

OL BILL wrote: ... 1980 classic...injected... 4500 mile one owner (before me)... I believe there is a relay, sensor or some electrical component missing... an electrical connector (I call them Bosch connectors) that is rectangular in shape with a ''wire lock'' around it where it would lock on to a component, and I cannot find anything to plug it in to. I'M thinking whatever mounts to that bracket connects to the wire / harness....

Here are links to wiring diagrams in KZr's FILEBASE that may be helpful:

www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/277-z1000g1

www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/51...iring-diagram-part-1

www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/51...iring-diagram-part-2

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: OL BILL

More
04 Oct 2013 13:47 #608774 by Lt.Dan
Replied by Lt.Dan on topic KZ1000G Question
You are missing the Mikuni/Bosch airflow switch which looks a lot like the airflow unit that was in the early Datsun 260Z.

More
04 Oct 2013 19:52 #608801 by OL BILL
Thanks everyone for all the info, I had a great response to my question. I'll keep you posted on my results.
OB

More
04 Oct 2013 22:18 #608807 by OL BILL
I Will try to post pics. In the wiring diagram I you guys sent, the only 7 pin connector on the diagram goes to the air flow meter.

Attachment 001_2013-10-04.JPG not found

Attachment 003.JPG not found

Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • User
More
04 Oct 2013 22:33 #608809 by Motor Head
Yep, AirFlow Meter.
Look at this from the parts fiche

Then you'll see the connecting parts also to the airbox.
It's been found that the L-Jetronic Bosch system on these early Kaws share parts with the Automotive models. For one the Throttle Valve Switch, the Double Relay etc. So while I can't say 100% for sure, I would bet the Airflow Meter would also be shared, but with which car model. Well the Datsun/ Nissan Z cars would be a good place to start as the throttle switch is Identical.

Attachments: