83 750 LTD leaks gas thru drain line

More
30 Sep 2013 15:19 #608357 by schilz1
83 750 LTD leaks gas thru drain line was created by schilz1
Hello; First day/time on here.

I Recently purchased an 83 750 LTD, 4 cyl from my buddies dad (orig. owner, 10K, showroom new)and it stated to leak gas thru drain line, only while on center stand (or upright)...not side stand.

He had the carbs cleaned the beginning of this year and it sat for many months prior to my purchasing of it. It ran fine with no leaks for a few days then the leak started.

Any clues what it might be?

Also, what is off on the fuel pet cock.....ON or PRI?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2013 16:00 #608367 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic 83 750 LTD leaks gas thru drain line
"PRI" is short for prime - as in filling the carbs the first time you start it. Gas flows on PRI whether there's vacuum or not.

If there is no vacuum, "ON" is off. I know it seems a little counter-intuitive. It's also possible (if something jams up the vacuum plunger) that it's actually on all the time.

Sounds like the fuel level in the bowls got set with the bike on the side stand instead of upright, although there shouldn't be that much difference one to the other.

If I was a betting man, I'd guess that some cruft from the tank has gotten into the petcock, blocking it open, and possibly into the float valve, blocking them open.

Install an inline high-volume, low-pressure fuel filter (like for a riding lawnmower) as step 3.

Step 1 is to pull the fuel petcock and rebuild it.

Step 2 is to open up the carbs and make sure they're clean. Once you're sure about that, set the float level using the 'clear tube' method from the Factory Service Manual or Clymers. You should be able to pull the bowls without removing the carbs from the bike, but I'll leave that detail to you.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Sep 2013 22:38 - 30 Sep 2013 22:42 #608416 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 83 750 LTD leaks gas thru drain line
Check the brass overflow tube, it stands up in the float bowl and connects to the drain. These crack, then leak when there is fuel in the bowl. Pretty common. Easy to fix. Been several posts on it.
New brass tube from the hobby Shop, is cheap.
www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/58956...heard-of-this#593985

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 30 Sep 2013 22:42 by Motor Head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: schilz1

More
01 Oct 2013 11:08 #608452 by schilz1
Replied by schilz1 on topic 83 750 LTD leaks gas thru drain line
Thank you