Carb Rebuild - What Type of Screws

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
28 Sep 2013 21:57 #608159 by PaulyWally
Carb Rebuild - What Type of Screws was created by PaulyWally
I'm in the middle of carb rebuild, and some of the screws could use replacing. What type of screws should I get? I've heard opposing opinions on stainless steel. And I wouldn't think that I should just buy some standard grade stuff off the shelf at Home Depot.

1976 KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
28 Sep 2013 22:11 #608160 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Carb Rebuild - What Type of Screws
I have been using stainless socket head capscrews from McMaster-Carr. They haven't given me any trouble in over three years.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
30 Sep 2013 13:03 #608340 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Carb Rebuild - What Type of Screws
Most Ace Hardware stores have a stock of stainless steel screws in several head configurations. Personally, for this application, I'd go with the Allen head screws in the right size and length. They aren't super pricey, so I'd replace them all at the same time with the same screws.

Since the carb bodies are aluminum, using standard screws can cause 'dissimilar welding' problems which can promote the threads rotting out (over time). Also, be sure to not over-tighten the screws when you put them in.

If the bowls leak after replacing the screws, pull them apart and figure out the problem with the mating surfaces rather than just over-tightening (and possibly stripping) the threads. The voice of experience speaks on this one.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike