Leaking fuel from somewhere

More
29 Sep 2013 16:59 #608257 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Leaking fuel from somewhere
Your bike has 2 separate fuel related problems. They should BOTH be fixed, and the good news is that fixing the problems is not difficult to do.

One problem is the petcock. If it permits fuel to flow regardless of the position you select it is not functioning properly, so you should replace or rebuild it. That's easily done.

The second problem is your carbs. The float valves should shut off the flow of fuel into the carbs once the fuel reaches a certain level in the carb bowls regardless of the petcock position. My earlier posting describes how to deal with this problem. This problem is not hard to correct.

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2013 18:06 - 29 Sep 2013 18:08 #608259 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Leaking fuel from somewhere
ed I see now that if my fuel valve was working correctly the carb problem never would have been noticed. I have taken the fuel valve apart and reassemble it 5 times now and it still does not operate. I have installed a rebuild kit and it's still just flows fuel right past the diaphragm. from what I can tell the oval ring on the diaphragm post is supposed to stop the flow of fuel unless there is vacuum to pull against the spring to open the valve.
I even left the vacuum side of the petcock off and pushed on the diaphragm against the orifice at me over ring still did not stop the fuel from flowing. the parts I put in seem to be identical to the parts I took off, i

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD
Last edit: 29 Sep 2013 18:08 by djturnz.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
29 Sep 2013 19:29 #608264 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Leaking fuel from somewhere
There should be a spring inside the petcock, that is opposite the fuel inlet side. It presses the shut-off piston into the seat to stop the flow of fuel. Is that spring missing perhaps?

Also the shut-off piston has a small "O"-ring on it. This is what contacts the seat to stop the fuel flow. Is the "O"-ring in good condition?

Finally, check the seat itself in the body of the petcock for cracks.

Still sounds like the carb float needle and seats are not functioning properly. Even if the petcock is flowing full - the carb float needle and seats should shut the fuel off.

The vacuum operated shut-off is a safety feature when the engine is stopped - that should prevent massive overflow of fuel - in the event that the carb floats are not 100%.

If the fuel will not shut off - then it will flow into the fuel intake hoses, and into the air box until it runs out the drain holes in the box. On the engine side - fuel runs into the intake port - and through any open intake valve and into the cylinder - then past the piston rings and into the crankcase and into the oil - diluting the oil.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
29 Sep 2013 19:54 #608270 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Leaking fuel from somewhere
I think its fixed. The spring loaded ring on the knob side was in wrong. I put a gallon of gas in and ran down the road. Its now parked with a box full of rags under it just in case.

I'm planning to redo my exhaust in two weeks and the carbs will come off then, so ill be able look into what ed said about the float needles.

Thanks fellas.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD