TK 22 leaking fuel

More
28 Sep 2013 12:28 #608115 by Money pitt2
TK 22 leaking fuel was created by Money pitt2
I'm a newbee to the forum. Just bought this bike in June and have brought it back to life. I'm a fan of the old 4 cyl. Used to have a KZ650 years ago but had to sell it for safety reasons. Worked long hours and had a hard time staying awake while driving let alone riding. I've been reading several posts out there in regards to leaking carbs. I have a 1980 KZ 550C LTD been sitting for several years. Prior to having any work done the carbs did not leak fuel thru the drain tubes nor into the engine. Work that has been done. Valves adjusted, carbs rebuilt w/ stage 4 jets (exhaust modified & air box delete), plugs, fuel tank cleaned, rebuilt petcock,, fork seals and several other minor items. Problem I'm having is after having the carbs rebuilt by a certified tech after about 300 miles the #1 carb started dumping fuel out the bottom hose. The bike would run for about 3 minutes then dump the fuel for about 15 seconds. Never missing a beat. The bike runs awesome. I've read that the float level could be wrong. Took back to the tech he's checked and double checked the settings. While off the bike with a temp gas supply on the carb would leak fuel. If the gas is off then it wouldn't leak. Somewhere I read the overflow tube in the bowl could leak. If that is so wouldn't it leak as long as there is fuel in the bowl? Doesn't that tube go down to the drain screw? If the drain screw is closed how can fuel get by? Could it be as simple as the o-ring for the drain? One other note the tech said that #1 stopped leaking but 2 & 4 started. I looked inside the bowl at the overflow tubes and on #4 it appears at the bottom there is a slight crack but not on the others. We poured fuel in the bowl and it just dripped not dumped fuel. Again could this be an oring nit seating properly? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2013 02:53 #608171 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic TK 22 leaking fuel
The drain screw has multiple sealing rings. One seal is to seal the bowl drain passage. This drains the bowl when the screw is loosened. The other seal keeps fuel in the bowl from seeping into the overflow passage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Money pitt2

More
29 Sep 2013 10:33 #608202 by Money pitt2
Replied by Money pitt2 on topic TK 22 leaking fuel
Thanks for the insight. According to the tech he said the needles & seats weren't matched correctly in the kit. Sounds like it's possiblebut you would think the carb kits would all be the same. Doesn't quite explain the fact fuel leaked without the bowl attached. Sounds more like the bowl drain passage oring. At any rate got the bike back yesterday so far no leaks.