Changed Throttle Cable Now Carb Trouble?

More
25 Sep 2013 21:33 #607789 by Douglas.P
Changed Throttle Cable Now Carb Trouble? was created by Douglas.P
I recently noticed a break in my throttle cable housing so I ordered a new cable and got around to putting it on tonight. Before the change, the bike was a little hesitant when pulling away from stops (I'd have to give it a little extra gas while releasing the clutch), but otherwise ran like a top. After the change, the bike really bogs down to the point of stalling when I blip the throttle and is backfiring through the airbox. I didn't make any adjustments to the carbs other than installing the cable, I set the cable's play to about 1/8". Any ideas what could have happened or what I can do to fix it?

1980 KZ750e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2013 22:14 #607797 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Changed Throttle Cable Now Carb Trouble?
I wonder if you've opened up an air leak in one or more of the carb manifolds when installing the cable.
While the engine is idling, try spraying some carb cleaner around the manifolds. If the rpms change then air (and carb cleaner) are getting in somewhere.

If there is a leak, see if it can be sealed or if new manifolds are needed.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
26 Sep 2013 11:51 #607861 by Douglas.P
Replied by Douglas.P on topic Changed Throttle Cable Now Carb Trouble?

rstnick wrote: I wonder if you've opened up an air leak in one or more of the carb manifolds when installing the cable.
While the engine is idling, try spraying some carb cleaner around the manifolds. If the rpms change then air (and carb cleaner) are getting in somewhere.

If there is a leak, see if it can be sealed or if new manifolds are needed.

Tried spraying around with carb cleaner, no change in rpms at all, thankfully. I wouldn't think the air/fuel mix would have changed from installing a new cable, but is that possible? This week's been a little colder since last, would that have anything to do with it?

1980 KZ750e