Fighting a Slug

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
19 Sep 2013 23:23 #607119 by bromz
Fighting a Slug was created by bromz
This season my bike has been up and down fighting connection problems. Now that it is winding down to fall it has got me thinking? It has been sluggish when I first start it pretty much all season. Just takes a lot to warm up. Once its warm it rides fine and idles fine. Im thinking but just need some reassurance, Has to be a carb problem right? Slow jet or idle jet clogged? Whats your 2 cents
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2013 23:51 #607121 by coolio2013
Replied by coolio2013 on topic Fighting a Slug
Does it run better if you leave the choke on slightly...all the time? If so sound to me like
the slow jets are clogged.

FYI - 0 to 1/4 throttle position is controlled by the pilot jet located on the top side of the carbs closest to the engine intake boots...from what you're experiencing I'd do the following to rectify it...

Remove the tank and remove the pilot air screws (make sure prior to removing them you - turn them in until they lightly seat...record how many turns in they are) Spray some wd40 into the holes and let it sit overnight. Buy some compressed air "compressed gas duster" from a computer store with a small red hose attachment. Blast the air into the air screw passage ways, then buy a bottle of "super concentrated" carb cleaner and pour it in the gas...run the bike and your problem maybe fixed.

Doing this fixed up my KZ750 which had the same problem.

failing that I'd recommend pulling and cleaning the carbs...

Good luck!

Dave

:)

These are my bikes:
1977 GS750B
1983 GS750E
1984 KZ750
1991 ZX7
1986 1000R
1982 KZ1000J
1982 KZ1000K

No room for anymore bikes...

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Sep 2013 10:00 #607149 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Fighting a Slug
Those ultra sonic cleaners work wonders on carbs. My buddy just picked one up for $10 at the swap meet. But you do need to pull the rack apart to fit them into the smaller, more available cleaners. Not a big issue. Just keep all of the parts separated, so each carb gets its pieces back. Get some rebuild kits, and clean your tank and petcock, I'd add a good inline filter that's for a gravity system.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
20 Sep 2013 10:36 #607152 by bromz
Replied by bromz on topic Fighting a Slug
I have been running seafoam and lucas on and off all summer. Guess i will try pulling the pilots screws soaking the holes with wd over night and if that doesnt work i will have to pull them and go thru them

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Sep 2013 11:53 #607246 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Fighting a Slug

bromz wrote: I have been running seafoam and lucas on and off all summer. Guess i will try pulling the pilots screws soaking the holes with wd over night and if that doesnt work i will have to pull them and go thru them

If your going that route, I'd try something stronger than WD. Maybe some Berrymans Chemtool, or other Carb cleaning product. But there is no Substitute for going through them properly.
Also have you tested for Vacuum leaks? If you have any it will effect your low speed running, and Idle.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
21 Sep 2013 15:40 #607265 by bromz
Have t checked for vacum leaks. Everything looks right as rain. If this soak over igbt doesn't fix it I will go that route

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
22 Sep 2013 09:50 #607338 by bromz
I ran the bike while it was running I soaked the carb holders and intake boots with wd 40 and no change in Rpms so no air leaks. Soaked the pilot jets with wd and seafoam and blew them out. I will try going for a ride this afternoon and let you know how it turned out.

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
23 Sep 2013 16:50 - 23 Sep 2013 16:53 #607463 by bromz
Ok guys, started it and rode to work today and this bike is still sluggish till it gets warmed up,and when I say sluggish i mean when i pull up to a stop sign my rpms tank on me > doesnt die most of the time but it for sure drops to 5 or 6 hundred rpm. So do i fight it for a couple more weeks till I put it up for the year and clean the carbs in the spring or do i bite the bullet and go through them now. Either way is fine for me
Last edit: 23 Sep 2013 16:53 by bromz.

More
23 Sep 2013 17:38 #607467 by david-b
Replied by david-b on topic Fighting a Slug
I'm having the same issue. Had the carbs rebuilt and it's just a little sluggish until fully warmed up. Pulling the choke will actually make it worse unless I keep the throttle open some. But once she's warmed up, all good.

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc