wtf high idle help 911

More
12 Sep 2013 21:53 #606235 by mrvoorhees
wtf high idle help 911 was created by mrvoorhees
ok guys i have had my 1983 kz1000ltd for about 2 mths. when i got it the bike would start and run fine .... i even drove it a few times for about a mile or 2 then back home bike felt great. so lask week i pulled it out to clean it up and noticed that it did not run or even idle the same so i rode it and it seemed to go away so i parked it out side and went in the house for about an hr or 2 when i came back out to fire it up as soon as i did the rmps shot up around 4500rpms so i shut it off.....went to start it again same thing... so i pushed in the shed so i could look over it.... i found that the throttle cable was sticking and even broke a few of the wires in it i ordered a new one....... the new cable came in today so i rushed to put it on and when i got it all together and fired it up same exact thing high idle to about 4500 rpms...... the cable i took out and the new one have the same part number. after looking over everything i took the cable aloose from the carb end fired the bike again and it idles perfect......wtf!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
12 Sep 2013 22:21 #606237 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic wtf high idle help 911
Sounds like you just need to adjust some slack- freeplay in the cable. There is an adjustment at the throttle where the cable goes in. Also one at the middle of the cable under the tank.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
12 Sep 2013 22:22 #606238 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic wtf high idle help 911
O.K., simplest thing to try first is start it up without the throttle cable even being attached. Make sure the idle adjustment screw is not set too high. But assuming it still fires up to 4500 rpm again, which is very likely, you should look at the rubber intake manifolds between the carburetors and the cylinder head. If you have pods installed, look to make sure the carburetors are seated properly and tight in these manifolds and haven't slipped out any from bumps; especially if they are unsupported. Otherwise, they could have developed a leak. You can check for air leaks by spraying starting fluid around these manifolds as the bike is running and see if the rpm changes which will indicate a leak. Or you can use an unlit butane torch to see if the rpm increases. See where that gets you with these simple test. Good luck.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
12 Sep 2013 22:23 #606239 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic wtf high idle help 911
Several things can cause a high idle:
1 Vacuum leaks; between the carb holders and the engine, between the carbs and carb bodies, and missing or split vacuum boots(plugs),on the vacuum ports for carb sync.

2. Sticking mechanical ignition advancer(behind a CD sized right engine cover), not sure if your bike has one, as 1982 was about when they went to a electronic advancer. If your bike has the mechanical one, with the engine off, see if it will snap back when twisted, if it's sticking, make note of how it's assembled/take pictures, as it can be put back on 180 degrees out. Some cleaning, and lubrication with some light grease on the moving parts, is about all it needs now and then.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Sep 2013 09:37 #606277 by mrvoorhees
Replied by mrvoorhees on topic wtf high idle help 911
ok great info guys i fixed it.... i found that the new cable was really tight allowing the set up to hold the carbs open a little when it was on. both the old a new cable only have one adjustment point so i found away to set it up so that it didnt hold the carbs open... it idles good again.

once i figured that out i still checked for leaks and found that when i sprayed cleaner around the carb boots the idle changed so i will be getting new ones other than that i made sure that all the vac lines checked out ok with no cranks or kinks ......so again thanks

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Sep 2013 09:42 #606278 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic wtf high idle help 911
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...