KZ1000LTD 1977 Carb Issues...

More
09 Sep 2013 09:55 #605668 by daveruckel
KZ1000LTD 1977 Carb Issues... was created by daveruckel
I accidentally posted this in the Engine area, so I am re-posting it here for help.

So i received this bike in boxes so I really did not know what I was getting. I have her together and running but I have an odd carb issue that is leading to my question. Nor a performance, other than the sticking is preventing me from hitting full throttle. So here I go...

I am guessing they are stock carbs - VM26SS - I have them jetted and it runs good from idle to half or 3/4 throttle, then that is where the issue happens. At this point they hangup and stick. Carb #4 slide runs smooth, #3 hangs up big time, #1&2 slightly hangup. At this point the throttle will stick, I can take it back down by twisting it back. But the issue is #1-3 will not open all the way which is leading to me not being able to get to full throttle.

I taken the carbs apart and cleaned them. when I did, #4 slide comes right out with no effort. #1&2 require some effort. #3 requires much effort to get removed.

Can the carb bodies or slides warp or become malformed from heat? I am just guessing here and need some input. Maybe someone else has had this and has a fix that is obvious that I am not seeing.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Dave Ruckel
1977 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2013 21:05 #605757 by toad
Replied by toad on topic KZ1000LTD 1977 Carb Issues...
slides could be worn.double check they are spotless and push and pull cables are set properly.

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveruckel

More
11 Sep 2013 19:53 #606066 by daveruckel
Replied by daveruckel on topic KZ1000LTD 1977 Carb Issues...
Toad, I think they may have a spot or two that may be junked up. I took the tops off and sprayed Sea Foam in them and let them sit, they seemed to free up some more. They still stick but not nearly as bad. So this weekend I am going to pull them of the bike, pull the slides, then clean REALLY good. Note finish till they all slide free. Their is hope in the future!

Thanks for the input!

Dave Ruckel
1977 KZ1000