Flooding Carbs/ Airbox KZ700

• themuteherald
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Sep 2013 19:59 #605590 by themuteherald
Flooding Carbs/ Airbox KZ700 was created by themuteherald
Questions for the fuel experts:

1- Why would the off position of the petcock cause the air box to flood with fuel?

2- Why does this prevent the bike from turning over after this occurs?

This is the second time this occurred. Just had the carbs tuned by Seattle Used Bike and it was running amazingly. I would think a carb cleaning would prevent this flooding from happening again. The FSM wasn't helpful for this...

Any thoughts KZ Masters?
Thanks!

"Leave them to me...I'll deal with them myself."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2013 20:32 #605594 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Flooding Carbs/ Airbox KZ700
If you're sure its only when the petcock is in the off position and it's not happening while the bike is running, I'd check the o rings and gaskets in your petcock to see if anything needs to be replaced. If that doesn't fix it you should check to make sure the floats in your carbs are set to the correct height

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
08 Sep 2013 20:51 - 08 Sep 2013 20:51 #605595 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Flooding Carbs/ Airbox KZ700
if its flooding the carbs and airbox it may also be flooding the crankcase

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler
Last edit: 08 Sep 2013 20:51 by gengomerpyle.

More
08 Sep 2013 21:19 #605598 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Flooding Carbs/ Airbox KZ700
Your bike has 2 separate but related problems.

The first is the petcock. In the OFF position no fuel should flow. Please show a picture of the petcock, as there are several different types, but the bottom line is that the petcock needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

The second problem is the carbs. The carbs have float valves which are designed to stop the flow of fuel when the fuel reaches the correct level in the fuel bowls. Clearly, this is not happening or the carbs would not overflow into the airbox. There can be a couple different causes of the overflow problem. One is that the float valves are sticking open or not closing tightly and thus allowing fuel to continue to flow even after it has reached the proper level in the carb bowls; another is that the fuel level in the carbs is set too high; and another is that your overflow tubes in the carb bowls (if your carbs have them) are cracked or otherwise leaking. Each of these problems is easily fixed.

Since you had fuel in the airbox it is likely that fuel also ran forward through the carb throats, into the cylinders, and down into the crankcase. So by all means check the oil for traces of gasoline and fix the fuel leaking problem before changing the oil or running the engine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)