Or Something else ?

More
02 Sep 2013 18:17 #604513 by barney
Or Something else ? was created by barney
I Just got the 1000j all back together after a thorough cleaning and detailing. My first attempt to start it up(keeping in mind it was purchased non running)was sort of good . Started after a little monkeying around with the choke. However it did run at high rpm and wouldn't respond to any throttle input at all ,there was a bunch of exhaust smoke(I assume from what I had put in the cylinders for the winter) so I shut it down then tried it a second time.Same thing happened again so I shut it down a second time. I messed with the idle adjustment screw a bit but have not been able to start the bike up again. Im thinking there is some crap stuck in the carbs somewhere and I will have to remove the carbs again(that was a chore the first time and was hoping I wouldn't have to remove them again)
Any thoughts out there from the members?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2013 18:25 #604514 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Or Something else ?
The carbs could probably use a cleaning. Also check for vacuum leaks around your carb holders. If it's still smoking after that try doing a leak down test to determine where the smoke is coming from

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
04 Sep 2013 12:23 #604778 by barney
Replied by barney on topic Or Something else ?
Yes already did the leak check. All good there. Was wondering if there was a possibility of something other than carburetor problems,they were thoroughly cleaned. They are just such a pain in the ass to remove and reinstall with the airbox

More
04 Sep 2013 14:09 #604795 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Or Something else ?
What color is the smoke coming from the exhaust?

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
04 Sep 2013 17:10 - 05 Sep 2013 12:38 #604822 by barney
Sorry I guess I should of said. The smoke was blue(oil) I'm pretty sure it was due to me putting a couple of tablespoons of oil in each cyl.before I stored it last winter.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2013 12:38 by barney.

More
06 Sep 2013 08:58 #605166 by barney
Anybody want to contribute any suggestions?

More
06 Sep 2013 09:36 #605169 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Or Something else ?
I'll give it a shot.
First, the blue smoke was from the oil and I would not worry about it.
Second, if I understand you correctly, you started the engine and it revved up high and was unresponsive to throttle input. This is clearly carb-related. Either a pinched throttle cable, stuck idle adjustment screw, or an intake leak. Pretty much all it could be, unfortunately.
Third, if the bike will not start now you need to consider what it takes for an internal combustion engine to run: Fuel, air and spark.
Therefore, I would check the spark. If you are getting spark, the only thing it can be is the Fuel/Air, which means the carbs.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are getting spark you only have one other choice.
If it were my bike, I would bite the bullet and pull the carbs again.
Best of luck.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
06 Sep 2013 11:24 #605182 by barney
Thanks for the input. Im getting a good spark and the throttle cable is turning the butterflies Sounds like I need to pull the carbs off again.
Cheers
Barney